New Members - Introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My name is Els, nickname Sophie. I'm a friend of Sanny and she told me about this forum. I go to the same school as her and I'm also 17 years old.

At this forum are very nice people, I think. Just like Sanny said, you guys will not laugh at me when I make mistakes. That makes me feel certain about myself.

Is there a topic or something where people talk about their own cultures? Because I'm interested about that.

Sophie des Cartes said:
Hello,

My name is Els, nickname Sophie. I'm a friend of Sanny and she told me about this forum. I go to the same school as her and I'm also 17 years old.

At this forum are very nice people, I think. Just like Sanny said, you guys will not laugh at me when I make mistakes. That makes me feel certain about myself.

Is there a topic or something where people talk about their own cultures? Because I'm interested about that.

Sanny started one, and it looks like it is going to be an interesting one indeed. :)

(Say: "That makes me feel sure of myself.")

:)

Hi everybody,
My name is Henry Tuangpi, from Myanmar( Burma). Some of you've known me already as Henry in the forum. I'm studying in Germany now, to be exact in Hamburg.

Best regards,
Henry

henry said:
Hi everybody,
My name is Henry Tuangpi, from Myanmar( Burma). Some of you've known me already as Henry in the forum. I'm studying in Germany now, to be exact in Hamburg.

Best regards,
Henry

Hi! Good to see you again. :)

May I ask you a question or two? First, how did you find our website? Second, what's your first language?

How do you like living in Germany? (Okay, I realize that's three questions. :wink: )

RonBee said:

May I ask you a question or two? First, how did you find our website? Second, what's your first language?

How do you like living in Germany? (Okay, I realize that's three questions. :wink: )

Well, here goes:
To your first question, I found this website by chance, and I feel obliged to say " I REALLY LIKE IT ".
To your 2nd question, my mother tongue is Siyang.
So far OK? :wink:
To the last Q: I enjoy my stay in Germany, especially I like HAMBURG where I am studying now.

Nice to be interviewed by you. :lol:
Any further questions?
You are always welcome.
Best regards,
Hong it Henry

henry said:
RonBee said:

Well, here goes:
To your first question, I found this website by chance, and I feel obliged to say " I REALLY LIKE IT ".
To your 2nd question, my mother tongue is Siyang.
So far OK? :wink:
To the last Q: I enjoy my stay in Germany, especially I like HAMBURG where I am studying now.

Nice to be interviewed by you. :lol:
Any further questions?
You are always welcome.
Best regards,
Hong it Henry

First, allow me to apologize for taking so long to respond to this one. The truth is I have so many questions I don't know where to start. :wink:

But I don't want to overdo it. So I hope I don't.

Your answers to my questions have stimulated my curiosity further. (I suppose curiosity is a good thing, but they say curiosity killed the cat. Poor cat.)

Your first language is Siyang. Is that anything like Chinese or Japanese? Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

I've been curious about this one for a while. Can you tell me why Myanmar changed its name from Burma to Myanmar?

I'm guessing that you speak three languages. Is that right?

My German teacher was from Hamburg. That's quite a coincidence, huh? As we Americans would say, "It's a small world." :)

Have you run across the "How many languages do you speak?" discussion?

I hope that wasn't too many questions.

:wink:

RonBee said:
henry said:
RonBee said:

How do you like living in Germany? (Okay, I realize that's three questions. :wink

First, allow me to apologize for taking so long to respond to this one. The truth is I have so many questions I don't know where to start. :wink:

But I don't want to overdo it. So I hope I don't.

Your answers to my questions have stimulated my curiosity further. (I suppose curiosity is a good thing, but they say curiosity killed the cat. Poor cat.)

Your first language is Siyang. Is that anything like Chinese or Japanese? Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

I've been curious about this one for a while. Can you tell me why Myanmar changed its name from Burma to Myanmar?

I'm guessing that you speak three languages. Is that right?

My German teacher was from Hamburg. That's quite a coincidence, huh? As we Americans would say, "It's a small world." :)

Have you run across the "How many languages do you speak?" discussion?

I hope that wasn't too many questions.

:wink:

No, Siyang has absolutely nothing to do with Chinese or Japanese. It's a language spoken by Chin people in Burma. Chin is one of the ethnic groups in Burma and Siyang is also generally known as Chin language in my country.

Short explained, Myanmar is re-named by the Military Gov. without asking its people's opinions. The reasons they give to us is that the name of our country "Burma" was given by the British Colony.
So they said it's not burmese name.That'why they changed it to burmese name. But the real aim by changing the name is to conceal Human Right Abuses they have already committed. It's only one of the reasons why changing the name.
The opposition and exile activists are against it. Besides that they said "Myanmar" is not grammatically correct.It's an Adjective so it needs a Noun. But they do whatever they want at will.

I speak five languages; Chin/Siyang, Burmese, English,German and French( have been learned only for about 2 years).

Should you be more interested in Burma, you are always welcome.
Feel free to ask any questions :D

Best regards,
Henry

Wow! I am really impressed. I only speak English and a little (very little) German.

I gather from your post that even though the official name of the country is Myanmar a lot of the Burmese still call it Burma. I am wondering what it must like to be from Burma and living in Germany. Do you ever get homesick?

Burma is a very mountainous country, isn't it? And rainy, huh?

Are you familiar with Rudyard Kipling's work? He wrote a poem with Mandalay in the title, I believe. Mandalay is in Burma, isn't it. (I prefer to call it Burma. That's easier to spell. :wink: )

Thank you for that wonderful explanation. Quite interesting.

Hello :) I stumbled in here thanks to a Google search. English is the only language I speak, but like many Americans, I've been known to butcher it from time to time. As a few others have posted, I'm also a bit nervous about posting here and causing problems for those who are trying to learn English and end up learning my mistakes.

I'm not a teacher and only took the minimum requirements for English in college. However, a friend of mine wants to go to China to teach English and I'm thinking of going with him. I think the idea of living in another country for a year or so is exciting and I would love to do it. Looking for sites about teaching English in China is what brought me here. I'm hoping to interact with others who have taught english as a second language or are currently doing it. The sites with job advertisements tend to make it sound great but I don't know if it is something I'm actually capable of doing, or more precisely, doing well.

I thought I might get a better understanding of what I would be up against in this forum than I would from sites that are looking to hire people. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions to offer, they would be appreciated! I'm just going to wander around the forum a bit and see what there is to see! :)

~rj

Hi,
I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Anita, and I'm from the Netherlands.
I also want to travel a lot after my graduation. I came here because I want to learn better English.

RonBee said:
Wow! I am really impressed. I only speak English and a little (very little) German.

I gather from your post that even though the official name of the country is Myanmar a lot of the Burmese still call it Burma. I am wondering what it must like to be from Burma and living in Germany. Do you ever get homesick?

Are you familiar with Rudyard Kipling's work? He wrote a poem with Mandalay in the title, I believe. Mandalay is in Burma, isn't it. (I prefer to call it Burma. That's easier to spell. :wink: )

Still a lot of countries including USA, Canada call Burma instead Myanmar not because it is easier to spell or to articulate, but to give a massage to the junta that whatever they do or have done is not accepted and respected by those - a way of campaign against the junta.

Before leaving my country, I was so excited that I didin't think of getting homesick. But now being away ( for about 1 year) from my family, my country , especially my town(Kalemyo) where I grew up. I feel sometimes so homesick that I can't even concentrate on my study. Sure I do phone them but it is getting on my nerves.

You are right! Burma is also rainy but I love rain.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the author. By the way, Mandaly is the second big city. It is more beautiful than the capital city Rangon.

Best regards,
Henry

rj76 said:
Hello :) I stumbled in here thanks to a Google search. English is the only language I speak, but like many Americans, I've been known to butcher it from time to time. As a few others have posted, I'm also a bit nervous about posting here and causing problems for those who are trying to learn English and end up learning my mistakes.

I'm not a teacher and only took the minimum requirements for English in college. However, a friend of mine wants to go to China to teach English and I'm thinking of going with him. I think the idea of living in another country for a year or so is exciting and I would love to do it. Looking for sites about teaching English in China is what brought me here. I'm hoping to interact with others who have taught english as a second language or are currently doing it. The sites with job advertisements tend to make it sound great but I don't know if it is something I'm actually capable of doing, or more precisely, doing well.

I thought I might get a better understanding of what I would be up against in this forum than I would from sites that are looking to hire people. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions to offer, they would be appreciated! I'm just going to wander around the forum a bit and see what there is to see! :)

~rj

I think Shane can probably help you. He is from the UK and he is living in China and teaching there now. Send him a PM (private message) if you like.

barbamama said:
Hi,
I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Anita, and I'm from the Netherlands.
I also want to travel a lot after my graduation. I came here because I want to learn better English.

Well, your English looks pretty good to me. The only thing I would change is I would say I want to improve my English. If I wanted to be facetious (joke with you) I might say, "What's wrong with the English you know?" :wink:

Welcome to our forum? Have you "met" Sanny and Sophie yet? (They are also from Holland/the Netherlands.)

:hi:

henry said:
RonBee said:

Still a lot of countries including USA, Canada call Burma instead Myanmar not because it is easier to spell or to articulate, but to give a massage to the junta that whatever they do or have done is not accepted and respected by those - a way of campaign against the junta.

Before leaving my country, I was so excited that I didin't think of getting homesick. But now being away ( for about 1 year) from my family, my country , especially my town(Kalemyo) where I grew up. I feel sometimes so homesick that I can't even concentrate on my study. Sure I do phone them but it is getting on my nerves.

You are right! Burma is also rainy but I love rain.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the author. By the way, Mandaly is the second big city. It is more beautiful than the capital city Rangon.

Best regards,
Henry

Some call it Burma (instead of Myanmar) toexpress their disapproval of the junta?

What is it about calling your parents that gets on your nerves?

I like the rain too. What would we do without it? :)

(Say: my studies)
(Say: second biggest)

What do you think about the poem?

RonBee said:
henry said:
RonBee said:

Some call it Burma (instead of Myanmar) toexpress their disapproval of the junta?

Yeah! Candidly speaking, I myself am one of those who disapprove of the junta.

Oh don't get it wrong. What I wanted to mean by the sentence is that it is no longer bearable for me to only hear their voice- the phone calls can't satisfy my strong desire for seeing them again- it is not enough for me to only phone them.

What do you want to mean by your sentence "I like the rain too. What would we do without it? :) "

I find the poem pretty good :D . But I am wondering how you happened to know this poem?

henry said:
RonBee said:

Yeah! Candidly speaking, I myself am one of those who disapprove of the junta.

Your previous statements told me as much.

henry said:
Oh don't get it wrong. What I wanted to mean by the sentence is that it is no longer bearable for me to only hear their voice- the phone calls can't satisfy my strong desire for seeing them again- it is not enough for me to only phone them.

I understand. That is quite a good explanation.

henry said:
What do you want to mean by your sentence "I like the rain too. What would we do without it? :) "

I assume you mean the second part of my statement. I meant that without the rain we wouldn't be here. If not for the rain life itself wouldn't exist.

henry said:
I find the poem pretty good :D . But I am wondering how you happened to know this poem?

I really don't know when I first saw that poem, but I have known about Rudyard Kipling for a long time. Have you read "If"? ("If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs and blaming it on you....")

If
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21591#21591

~

b]If[/b]
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21591#21591

~[/quote]

O'lala, c'est tre´s genial.

I am, honestly, very impressed by your knowledges and enthusiasm of poetry.

It's a pity :( that I can't contribute for the time being but I hope there is a sometime for me.

By the way, should you be interested in brushing up your German, don't hesitate to ask me. I'm always ready to. :wink:

Any more questions? You are always welcome. :D

Henry 8)

henry said:
By the way, should you be interested in brushing up your German, don't hesitate to ask me. I'm always ready to. :wink:

Möchte ich auch mit dir auf Deutsch reden, Henry ?
May I also speek with you in German ?

henry said:

O'lala, c'est tre´s genial.

I am, honestly, very impressed by your knowledges and enthusiasm of poetry.

It's a pity :( that I can't contribute for the time being but I hope there is a sometime for me.

Any more questions? You are always welcome. :D

Henry 8)[/quote]

Don't be impressed. I wish my knowledge of poety really was that good, but I can't remember things worth a darn. Thanks for the compliment tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back