New Members - Introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Kamal, Your answer is correct, and you are so brilliant, but after read your replies carefully, I have to say that your explanation is not so perfect.

according fomula:
s=0.5*g*t*t,
then:
g=2s/t/t
where, from the conditions provided by my quesion:
s=20m, t=2s
then
g=2s/t/t=2*20/2/2=10m/s/s

well, g=10m/s/s is the key point of this question.
As we know, only two place on earth can have their gravity acceleration equal to 10, they are south pole and north pole. The other places are less than 10m/s/s, about 9.8m/s/s (just on the contrary to kamal's analysis, 2seconds' fall free can not cover more than 20meters on earth, if there was friction, then, more less.)

So, according g=10m/s/s, the story in my question could only happen in north pole or south pole, as we all know, if south pole had bears, then, the south penguins would have been eaten out, then, It must be a north pole bear, then it only can be white!

I hope you can understand my poor English ;)

It is a interesting quiz, Just for fun :)

claude said:
Well, Kamal, Your answer is correct, and you are so brilliant, but after read your replies carefully, I have to say that your explanation is not so perfect.

I stand corrected. I forgot the exact formula of the distance a body falls in a gravitational field. Very interesting to read your reply.

Kamal

May I make a suggestion?

claude said:
I am also happy that my English are understood by you.

:D

Say:
  • I am also happy that you understood my English.

You could also say:
  • I am also happy that my English was understood by you.

While both are possible, the first is, I think, more idiomatic (natural speech).

(You can use "English are" if you are referring to people. Example: "The English are a seafaring people.")

:)

'Glad' instead of 'happy'?? ;-)

tdol said:
'Glad' instead of 'happy'?? ;-)

I am glad you understood me. I am glad we can communicate.
We have something good going on, and isn't it great?

Back to the polar bear question:

All that works nicely...in a vacuum. But in order for the bear to be falling at a speed of 10m/s (not a rate) he would have had to start about 10m above the hole. And you also need to consider air friction because with all the fur, he's bound to slow down somwhat. Although he would be increasing in speed so perhaps it would work. I wonder what the terminal velocity of a polar bear would be with all of his fur.

RonBee said:
May I make a suggestion?

claude said:
I am also happy that my English are understood by you.

:D

Say:
  • I am also happy that you understood my English.

You could also say:
  • I am also happy that my English was understood by you.

While both are possible, the first is, I think, more idiomatic (natural speech).

(You can use "English are" if you are referring to people. Example: "The English are a seafaring people.")

Thank you, Ronbee, I am always glad to read your corrections to my mistakes, I can learn much from your posts. That is why I come here. Please go on.
:D :D

Samantha said:
Back to the polar bear question:

All that works nicely...in a vacuum. But in order for the bear to be falling at a speed of 10m/s (not a rate) he would have had to start about 10m above the hole. And you also need to consider air friction because with all the fur, he's bound to slow down somwhat. Although he would be increasing in speed so perhaps it would work. I wonder what the terminal velocity of a polar bear would be with all of his fur.
uh~ ...Perhaps I should add one condition that is "all hapened under an idealistic/sublimate/perfect(I do not know which word I should use :oops: ) condition the air friction or other friction can be omitted"

:wink:

Am I the only person who has yet to understand the bear question? ;-)

tdol said:
Am I the only person who has yet to understand the bear question? ;-)

Tdol, don't worry too much about the bear question. It's a nit-picky mathemticians game. Basically, the bear has to fall at a certain speed to cover the distance that he does in a certain amount of time. At the poles (north and south) Earth's gravity is stronger (because the crust is closer to the core of the earth, the part that pulls on us). The only place on earth that a bear could be going fast enough to meet the speed specified would be at these poles, because the gravitational pull is stronger here. And we know that there aren't any bears at the south pole and the only bears in the north pole are white. But, like Claude said, this is all in a world where we "pretend" that air friction doesn't exist and that you could actually dig a 20m deep hole in the ice. Hope that explains it a little. Mathemiticians like to simplify things as much as possible so they can get really complex in other ways. There's a famous mathemitician joke, "Consider a spherical cow..."

Thank you- I see it now. ;-)

Hello,
My name is Jessica Zink, I am 22 years old and I live in southeast Wisconsin. I'm new to this forum, but I'm enjoying it immensely! I'm not a teacher or a language expert by any means, but I enjoy language very much. I've read through several of the posts, and I'm excited to be able to participate and learn from the resident gurus!
I recently completed my BS in Business Admin, with a major in Management and a minor in English. I studied French beginning in first grade and ending as a senior in high school. I also studied Spanish while in high school. I am far from fluent or even proficient in either language, and as I haven't used them since high school I most likely have forgotten 90% of what I was taught :cry:
I currently work as a manufacturing technician, but my real passion is companion animal rescue. I spend a great deal of time volunteering with local and national rescue groups. My husband and I were married on March 11, 2003. We have a 4 year old daughter, Kayli, and a house full of dogs and cats.
Why is it that I feel a need to construct this e-mail in perfect grammar? I'm actually nervous to click "submit" for fear that someone might spot a mistake! My high school English Composition teacher would be so disappointed if I sent an e-mail to this list and didn't use proper grammar! Ahhh, Mr. Lawler... the English student's nightmare!!!! :shock:

Jessica

Welcome,Jessica. Language is a fascinating area and far from confined to teachers and experts- interest is the most important thing. ;-)

Jessica-I know exactly how you feel about worrying if your grammar and such is correct. I worry every time I post something and I used to scrutinize my posts for typos before I clicked submit. But then I learned that everyone here was really nice and they make mistakes too! So if they correct me, it doesn't mean I'm murdering the English language, I'm just not perfect (what?! Me?! Not perfect?! Scary thought!!!).

I'm one of the worst typists in the world and always hit the 'submit' button too soon. ;-)

Hi,
My name is steven. I am a telecom engineer in Shanghai.
It is my first time coming here but I have found usingEnglish is really a good site to improve my spoken English and make friends with you guys.

Thanks. :D

ckgsb said:
Hi,
My name is steven. I am a telecom engineer in Shanghai.
It is my first time coming here but I have found usingEnglish is really a good site to improve my spoken English and make friends with you guys.

Thanks. :D

Welcome, Steven! :hi:

tdol said:
I'm one of the worst typists in the world and always hit the 'submit' button too soon. ;-)

It's because of the typos of the Great Ones such as yourself that made me relax and not worry too much. Hey, if you messed up occasionally, surely I can, right?

Feel free- I do it all the time, so I'm glad others do too. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back