New Members - Introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe said:
Thank you for correcting me. May I ask what "make it a point to" means? And I have never heard of anything like "had have known". Is it a spelling mistake? Should I say "had had known" or "had known"?

(1) "make it a point to (bother you)" means, remember to bother you, make sure to bother you.

Read more about English idioms, sayings, and slang
http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.goeller/idiom_wm/

(2) "Wish (that) I had have known about it at the time" maybe dialectal. Some people use 'would have known'. It's the 3rd condtional.

EX: If I had had enough money, I would have gone to Japan.

Read more about English Conditionals
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional2.htm

:D

Note, when typing, put a space after the period (.), like this,

Incorrect: Sam is a doctor.She is from Canada.
Correct: Sam is a doctor. She is from Canada.

>>>"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."<<<

Claude, I really enjoyed your binary joke! I used to be a Physics major so I appreciate humor like that. Thanks!

happy new year ,everyone...:)
i am a new user here ,studying in Central south university ,China,i am pleased to join this forum,not only i can improve my english,but i can make some foreign friend,i like it:)

I hope you don't mind that I answer every question with a rhyme. You'll get used to it, I hope, for I do it all the time.

:)

From us at UE, welcome to one and all.
We're here in winter, summer, spring and fall.

Hello room,

my name is Kieu Van Pham . ...but my 1st ESL teachter called me "Q" , for easy remember .

My national is Vietnam . I came to USA in 1992, long a go .

I join in this forum looking for help . I wish one day I can understand everything I read like my home language.

RonBee said:
I hope you don't mind that I answer every question with a rhyme. You'll get used to it, I hope, for I do it all the time.

I like beautiful sentence,that can improve my english writing:)

RonBee said:

Samantha said:
>>>"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."<<<

Claude, I really enjoyed your binary joke! I used to be a Physics major so I appreciate humor like that. Thanks!
Hi, Samatha, I am glad that you like it. actually, I am fond of physics too, I had ever dreamed of becoming a physicist when I was a boy, but now, I am just a system engineer and fond of movies.

hmmm, I'v got a physics quiz for you or anyone who is interested in it:
A bear fall into a hole which is 20 meters deep, it cost the bear 2 seconds to reach the bottom of the hole, then, WHAT COLOR of the bear?

:D :D

coolrains said:
RonBee said:

I try to make them pretty. I try to make them nice. I hope you don't mind that I say everything twice.
:wink:

(That's good, but put an es at the end of sentence, and delete the comma.)

Is it white?

Kamal

hmmm, I'v got a physics quiz for you or anyone who is interested in it:
A bear fall into a hole which is 20 meters deep, it cost the bear 2 seconds to reach the bottom of the hole, then, WHAT COLOR of the bear?

Bingo! Kamal.

Then, could you pleas explain to us how did you get that? :D

But I do not understand why it would be a polar bear. :?: :wink:

unless he was sliding down, and to cover 20 meters in 2 seconds, one would have to be sliding on ice, and to be certain that this could happen on any day of the year, the region would have to be the north pole, which is home to the polar bear.

Kamal

Kamal said:
But I do not understand why it would be a polar bear. :?: :wink:

Kamal

I don't either. What does a bear falling in a hole have to do with its color?

:?

Will somebody please explain this one?

:?:

Rhyming riddle:

A young bird that is ill:

________ __________
(two rhyming words)

RonBee said:

Oops, I edited my post after thinking about it a little. Does the edited version help explain the answer? I am not sure if it is the correct one though.

Kamal

Kamal said:
RonBee said:

Oops, I edited my post after thinking about it a little. Does the edited version help explain the answer? I am not sure if it is the correct one though.

Kamal

That's interesting, but I was assuming that the bear would be falling straight down. Wouldn't the bear fall faster that way compared to sliding on ice. (Even ice provides some friction, although less than almost any other surface.)

If the bear was in free fall, it would fall more than 20 meters in two seconds since the acceleration due to gravity is about 10m/s/s. The only way for it fall the amount that it did is by, as you say, encountering friction, and ice provides such friction, but still allows the bear to descent at an impressive rate.

I thought the same thing that you did, that it was falling straight down (free fall) except that it did not make sense since something falling in Earth's gravitational fields would fall 30 meters in two seconds, not 20.

Kamal

RonBee said:
That's interesting, but I was assuming that the bear would be falling straight down. Wouldn't the bear fall faster that way compared to sliding on ice. (Even ice provides some friction, although less than almost any other surface.)

Wow!

:wink:

Kamal said:
The only way for it fall the amount that it did is by, as you say, encountering friction, and ice provides such friction, but still allows the bear to descent at an impressive rate.

But, of course, if the bear was tumbling (ie not in direct contact with the ground at all times while falling), then it could fall along any old terrain and therefore not necessarily be a polar bear. ARGH! the confusion. I hope that Claude will straigten things out pretty soon here.

The version of this riddle that I saw in the movie "Young Sherlock Holmes" (excellent movie) goes something like this. "A bell tolls on a building, which has all of its four walls pointing south. A bear comes wondering by. What color is the bear?"

Kamal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back