New Members - Introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Donlee,

Yes, learning a new language is learning a new way of thinking. When I speak German, I must think in German not in English, though it does not sound like it, the two languages are very much similar. How professional translators can listen to one language and quickly repeat the message in another is remarkable. Grammatik gender, which has very little to do with biological gender, varies from language to language, plus meter and word order also varies. And then there are idioms too.

I am sorry to say this, please forgive me, but a school that requires no certificate to teach a language reflects poorly on that intuition. The same as when a writer who obvious ignores proper usage of grammar and spelling reflects poorly on that writer. In fact, the better I use grammar, regardless of which language I am speaking, the more respect I receive, because it reflects that I am a correct person.

I was educated in the State of Florida, in a private school, and I had to through everything they taught me out and relearn my native language. So I prefer to use British English. I have lived in Europe so long that I now find it difficult to understand an average American’s slang, especially a high school educated American. Grammar does carry meaning, and if one wishes respect then one must use grammar properly.

A good friend of mine, who was educated in the same grammar school, is a computer engineer plus he represents his company. His employer told him to take a technical writing class. He told me that he now is starting to find his weak use of grammar embarrassing. It does cause confusion in deed. A language instructor should be required to master the language that he or she teaches. The best language instructors are those who have master more than one language. This is why I am here studing writing style, though; I am not an ESL student.

Randolph

Last edited:

Hello evry body.

Iam very happy using this program its very intresting , keep it up please .

Iam moroccan guy who just immegrated to canada ,I speak arabic and french I'm triying to learn english us well. Thank you for the aportonity.

hello everybody,my name is rami ,i live in egypt,male27,accountant,enter to this site to get help to improve my english,also get way for arranged my english level now,so i think that i will take it here ,anybody wants to help me i will appreciate for him or her.thank you for your co-operation

New Members

:n00b:

Why not introduce yourself to us here and tell us a little about yourself?

:smilecol:
OK! I wrote out a whole introduction to me, thingy and then lost it!! Now I cant remember what I wrote, but my main question I wanted to put out there was...Does anyone know how I can get a discounted/cheaper Tefl course, I am desperate to do one but I just dont have that much spare cash at the moment.
Going a bit stir crazy here in London and really want to move on Now!
Any help/advice much appreciated,
Jenpops

Re: new member

Hi Canmor,

I hope that you do not mind my corrections, I am not a qualified English instructor, but “I” is a first person pronoun and “am” is a verb. There should be a space between them. Unlike German, in English all nationalities are capitalized, plus your commons are a bit misplaced. They should come directly behind the last word of a phase. Other than that you are doing very well master English.

Hi Ramihassan,

This is a site for proper use of English. There are some, including me, who feel that capitals should be properly used here. This is not a chat room, rather a class room. I hope you do not become angry with me, but I re-wrote your message the best I could.

Hello everybody,

My name is Rami. I live in Egypt, and I am a 27-year-old male accountant. I joined this site to improve my English. I think that I will study here. I will appreciate anybody wanting to help me. Thank you for your co-operation.

English and Arabic are completely different languages. It must be strange for you to read left to right. Idioms do not translate well. A good example of idioms is “in front of a house.” If you are thinking in Arabic you might ask how can something or some one be in and before a house at the same time. Germans often translate “werden” for get when they really mean become. A good way to learn idioms is watching DVD’s that have English and Arabic languages options and subtext. It is not exact, but it does help. Another way to improve language skills is reading literature in both Arabic and English. The idioms will vary in the two versions as well as the grammar, but the story remains the same. Reading non-fiction like newspapers is also good, and of course, taking lots of grammar tests is good too.

-Randolph

Hi All

I hope that you all ok . I have decided to joing this forum and hope that all of you will welcome me here

New Members
I am Italian, and I teach English and Spanish.
I used to live in Seville Spain, but now I live in a little town near mount Etna.
Trying to help people learn English I have started putting a free English course on my web site: English For Italians
I am not very friendly with my computer and with the internet, but my son is helping me.
I would like to collaborate with any teacher of English in Italy.
Carmelo Mangano
This is my e-mai address :
carmelo@englishforitalians.com

hello to everyone,
i'm new member,my nick name is mikute,i'm lithuanian,i registered here to make my english better :)

Hello. I'm from A Coruña, in the North of Spain, and I'm an English student,

:) Hello! I am a Chinese girl.My major was English in collage and i love it.
I like listening to music hiking and making new friends.
In China the competition in job market is fiercer and fiercer.So I decided to further my study after graduated. The direction was still towards languages.
I think I need much more conmunication with you here to improve my language using ability.
There must have many errors in my passages, please feel free to point them out.I'll be very glad for your priceless adevice.
Happy everyday!;-)

:) Hello! I am a Chinese girl.My major was English in collage and i love it.
I like listening to music hiking and making new friends.
In China the competition in job market is fiercer and fiercer.So I decided to further my study after graduated. The direction was still towards languages.
I think I need much more conmunication with you here to improve my language using ability.
There must have many errors in my passages, please feel free to point them out.I'll be very glad for your priceless adevice.
Happy everyday!;-)

My name is Jerry Minchew. Here's a little bit about me. My wife and I have been married for 30 years. On our 30th anniversary she said that I had kept her from having a good husband for thirty years. I replied, "Well, at least I've been a success at something." :lol:

We live in in the USA in Soddy Daisy, TN (Yes that is a real place :shock: ). We have one daughter who is attending Northeastern Univ. in Boston, MA. Our son is in the U.S. Coast Guard, stationed in Norfolk, VA. Through him (I'm sure that his wife had something to do with this ;-) ), we have our one and only grandaughter. She is 5 years old and just adorable (I can send pictures if you like :-D ). We also have one neurotic, co-dependent cat (You haven't lived until you've lived with a co-dependent cat :-? ).

My first novel, Knighthawke, was published last year. I'm here because I want to improve my writing skills. I'd like to be more than a published author. I want to create literary works of art.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody.

Jerry Minchew
Jerry Minchew's Books -> Knighthawke

hı everybody.ı hope you wıll be happy to ıntroduce me.ı want to dıscuss everythıng on every subject esp. learnıng teachıng language.ı need some frıends to use technology and share some ınfo related to lıfe and everythıng.

New Members

Hi everyone! I'm from Portugal.
Just looking for teaching materials for my students.
Nice to meet you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back