New Members - Introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I am Mariana from Mexico and I am studying a degree in Modern Languages, I am getting ready to present the Cambridge Proficiency examination. I hope I get to know nice people to practice with. :)

Hello Everybody.my Name Is Mara I Am From Spain And It Is The First Time I Do A Thing Like This.i Am 37 Years Old And I Hope I Will Learn A Lot English With Your Help.
Thank You

Hi everybody! I'm Jerry from China. I am 23 years old. I am a software engineer, major in Handset. I join this party in order to improve my communication skills in English and meet more people, make more friends. Thanks a lot!:)

I joined in this group to improve my English.I am in interested in all world people.So I just want to know about everything.It doesn't matter the subject.I live in Turkey.Ankara.

Re: I'm Chinese-English translation teacher

Hi,
I am a teacher of translation between Chinese and English, here is my first problem:
Meaning of “gods of consumption”: this occurs in English Digest published in Beijing.
Some readers, being puzzled about the meaning of this phrase, raised a question as to the meaning of the said phrase.
Please explain to us the meaning of “gods of consumption” in the following context:
QUOTE Christianity: western secular values, above all the gods of consumption, have trumped Christian ones. Doubt is rampant. And Christians today are deeply divided. Yet perhaps we need not worry. Christianity transformed the west. It was the world’s first individualised, activist, self-help movement. Ordinary people were encouraged to clean up their act and given God’s help to do so. Everyone had a “soul”; individual human dignity and responsibility were greatly enhanced. UNQUOTE

Hello, I'm Yoshio, from Japan.

I'm working as an editor at a publishing company for textbooks for students.
When I proofread lots of some English text, I can't be perfectly sure whether it is OK or not. Whenever one problem is solved, another appears, and I can't ever be free from questions about English expressions.

Today, I found this site by chance and was able to solve one question that had been bothering me. Lucky me!

I don't know well how to use computers and so I might do something that seems strange to you, but it's not my intention:)

Hello Dear all Fellow!!!
A warm welcome to join the nice communaty .Hope you will enjoy and share your viwes with another commer . Tight yours belt and take your seat forever :p
Have fun bye

hi,everybody

hey,buddy
now i m a new member.i m from myanmar.this country has between Thiland and India.ok!!i hope ur welcome.my gmail add is "agphyowai@gmail.com".bye3.c ya.

Hi , everybody ! :-D
I come from Vietnam, a small but beautiful country in South East Asia . I've learned English for 3 years at school .Of course , it is not easy to master a language , especially such a difficult one as English . I'm very lucky to find this forum and I think that here most of you are English learners . So we , I and all of you ,have one thing in common , it's that we all want to improve our English.Therefore, why don't we try to help another with our knowledge ?I hope to be welcome by members here.
With love,
Kala_90

Hello Friends
I hope you are great. I am really great. I went to holiday and I got full energy :-D But I will have some exams for university several days later :-( . So I am studying too much.
This side is really good. People are friendly like me :lol: . I like friendly people.
I would like to get new friends in here. All of the world in here :-D Don't wait please. We are living different countries and we can learn manything from eachother, we can be friend easly
I am really sorry for my bad English :oops:
Good luck to everyone
Take care :lying:

Hello everybody!:n00b:

My name is Jetro (male), 32y.o., from Brazil.
Nowadays, I'm studying English on my own and would like to practice this amazing language with you. I love making friends around the world, exchanging knowledges and cultural information. I lived in London just for 8 months to study (I was a beginner :roll:) but I can't stop; if I do I'll forget it. So, I hope to meet you and become friends!

See ya!

PS.: sorry for my English...; because this I'm here :lol:

Re: I'm Chinese-English translation teacher

Hi,
I am a teacher of translation between Chinese and English, here is my first problem:
Meaning of “gods of consumption”: this occurs in English Digest published in Beijing.
Some readers, being puzzled about the meaning of this phrase, raised a question as to the meaning of the said phrase.
Please explain to us the meaning of “gods of consumption” in the following context:
QUOTE Christianity: western secular values, above all the gods of consumption, have trumped Christian ones. Doubt is rampant. And Christians today are deeply divided. Yet perhaps we need not worry. Christianity transformed the west. It was the world’s first individualised, activist, self-help movement. Ordinary people were encouraged to clean up their act and given God’s help to do so. Everyone had a “soul”; individual human dignity and responsibility were greatly enhanced. UNQUOTE

The “gods of consumption” does, I am sure, refer to the worship of material goods--the consumption of things that benefit the individual. Please post all other questions here: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/

:)

Hello everybody!
It`s nice to have help when we need. I am an English teacher and I am very glad to share with you my experiences. If you want to know more about me, please write me soon.
Bye bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back