International Café

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: International Café Donny Brook!

Hello, everybody! Seldom a visitor as I am, I want to let you know that I always keep in mind this little cappuccino place where one can forget to be serious and just chirp and chat around -- even if the chatting mostly feels like chatting to yourself. Stll good, still lifts you up.
So, are you glad it's autumn in the world? I am. It's October, my favorite time of the year, and the temperature is a bliss! The middle 70s! With the sunshine, it makes the real paradise.
Do you know what donnybrook is? I've just learned this word and even though it actually means "scandal", "heated quarrel", the Irish sound of it -- Donny Brook! Like the name of some beautiful, all green village in the heart of Ireland! -- the very sound of it makes me happy. "Donny Brook" sounds like something you want to be humming around. Or -- to make a new verse. Can't think of any suitable rhyme to "brook" though... except, perhaps, "crook"... Or a Russian word "vdruk"... Maybe I should write bilingual verses?...
Have a most delightful day, everybody! And don't go in for donnybrooks.:lol::up:

Hello, everybody! Seldom a visitor as I am, I want to let you know that I always keep in mind this little cappuccino place where one can forget to be serious and just chirp and chat around -- even if the chatting mostly feels like chatting to yourself. Stll good, still lifts you up.
So, are you glad it's autumn in the world? I am. It's October, my favorite time of the year, and the temperature is a bliss! The middle 70s! With the sunshine, it makes the real paradise.
Do you know what donnybrook is? I've just learned this word and even though it actually means "scandal", "heated quarrel", the Irish sound of it -- Donny Brook! Like the name of some beautiful, all green village in the heart of Ireland! -- the very sound of it makes me happy. "Donny Brook" sounds like something you want to be humming around. Or -- to make a new verse. Can't think of any suitable rhyme to "brook" though... except, perhaps, "crook"... Or a Russian word "vdruk"... Maybe I should write bilingual verses?...
Have a most delightful day, everybody! And don't go in for donnybrooks.:lol::up:

Hey to there, Nanette!

Wooow! It looks like I've been wrong about 'donnybrook' since I came accross English Language! :-D I thought that 'donnybrook' used to be said when some brawl was about to happen! Because I was using it as in the meaning of 'brawl', 'hubbub' and 'pother'.

Thanks,
P

Hi, Nanette, well, we're in the last months of the rainy season in Costa Rica, we only have two seasons (warm season and rainy season), so, it doesn't look like autumn right now.
That's an interesting word, you know, "donnybrook", I didn't have any idea about it, I'll follow the advice and I won't go in for donnybrooks!.
Speaking of verses, why don't you join us in Brief Verse? the most poetic thread on earth! ;-):up:

Wil.

Proof, Sim and Be Real should give you tip, they are frequent clients of the Cafe! (I have my whiskey shots in the bar around the corner!) :lol::up:

SUD had never served coffee for me :roll: Sim always does:cool:..without tip;-)
but, what about you dear wil?:)

And nice to have you again here, prof mero:-D

Sorry, I forgot to ask..

what do you mean by

Your L.F.
In letter writing the L.F. is used and it means lovingly friend. Just like you write yours truly in a business letter which is formal, you write Your L.F. to your friend.

Your L.F.

SUDHKAMP

910659427_9fc12aa76b.jpg

The white object above is Idli(it is half eaten hence not round in shape, the brown thing is Sambar and the smaller two bowls have Chilli Chatni(red-paste) and Coconut Chatni(white paste). It has been served on a banana leaf.

CHEERS(AMIGO STYLE)
SUDHKAMP
Be real, Idli-Sambar-Chatni just for you.

I never get vodka in the cafe...only swiss chocolate!!! :oops::oops: (right...nobody wants to pay the tip now!!) :lol::up:

You never share your Chocolate with anybody and now you also want Russian Vodka too!
That's is too much. Proof would have nothing to go for now!

trf_closeuprows_detail.jpg

Here it is! Swiss chocolate for everyone! I had to go buy it myself, Isa is not sending it anymore. :cry:
I would share vodka, but no alcohol is served in the cafe! :cry:
Enjoy! :cool::up:

Thank you wil, for sharing your "swiss chocolate"! Nain would also like to have some(he looks even older in his new Avatar, poor Mexican!)

Hey Prof!

Welcome to the IC and I hope to catch you around frequently!

'Your L.F.' means Your little Friend that sudh is used to sign under his notes! :-D

P

thanks a lot for the welcome and for interpretation proof,

I hope to be around frequently, but I dont know coz im about to live at dorm I`m not sure if there is internet there or not:-( but hope to find one :up:

OK,, nice too meet you PROOF

thanks a gain

Last edited:
In letter writing the L.F. is used and it means lovingly friend. Just like you write yours truly in a business letter which is formal, you write Your L.F. to your friend.

Your L.F.

SUDHKAMP

aha. its formal, do you know i hate writing in English I have to confess that I`m so bad at it.. and the worst thing i had to learn in high school to learn writing letters, I cant even distinguish between formal and informal letters.

wow I look horrible. but I think I`ll be fine, I have to concentrate more thats all .

Finally, I appreciate your explanation. thank you...

Be real, Idli-Sambar-Chatni just for you.

Thanks SUD;-) Yummy ..

Here's some "Indian chiken Beriane" :up: from our kind indian neighbor:cool:

1162795021.jpg

is it allowed in the Cafe :roll: may be you have to take it to your home:lol:

bye,
be real

Hey guys, lot of great dishes in the café, Yumi!

Today I had (another) meeting for our school newspaper whose new name is "Ipse Tassit" (from latin "ipse dixit" he (himself) said. We mixed it with Tasso, the name of our school)...

Tomorrow I'll meet Ska (the Francesca who is leading this project) to talk about layout and sponsors.
Then I'll go to an Aikido demonstration, as usual I'm the photographer...

Now I'll do some homework for Monday. We'll have a Greek test with Aorist tense (and, forgive me for the bad word, it's bloody difficult).
That's why I'm doing all the written exercises today, I need the weekend to practise my ancient Greek...
And on Sunday I'm going to our "cottage" (a small house on an hill), grape-harvest-time!

If you want to ask things like:
- What's Aikido?
- WTH, a newspaper? I dunno anything!
- Why do you have a cottage?

Feel free to post them. I'll be very glad to have a little rest and reply you.

Hey guys, lot of great dishes in the café, Yumi!

Today I had (another) meeting for our school newspaper whose new name is "Ipse Tassit" (from latin "ipse dixit" he (himself) said. We mixed it with Tasso, the name of our school)...

Tomorrow I'll meet Ska (the Francesca who is leading this project) to talk about layout and sponsors.
Then I'll go to an Aikido demonstration, as usual I'm the photographer...

Now I'll do some homework for Monday. We'll have a Greek test with Aorist tense (and, forgive me for the bad word, it's bloody difficult).
That's why I'm doing all the written exercises today, I need the weekend to practise my ancient Greek...
And on Sunday I'm going to our "cottage" (a small house on an hill), grape-harvest-time! How Amazing;-)

If you want to ask things like:
- What's Aikido?
- WTH, a newspaper? I dunno anything!

Feel free to post them. I'll be very glad to have a little rest and reply you.

Sim , What a busy man you are !!:cool:

mmmm..:roll: What ia Aikido ?

Good luck dear Sim:up:
and don't forget to bring us some grapes in the Cafe;-)

bye,
be real

Hello guys :-D

missed ya all

Long time no see :-( it's all because of this Eid vacation and the whole family gathered cousins and all whom we haven't met for a long time because of their works the company's and such stuff will open at this Monday while the school & college still one week later :cool:

anyway

Be real your eid's seems amazing too and it's so nice to see ytour old teachers it brings lots of memories :up: and ur answered is amazing lucky you your tall but I'm terribly short & petit people always mistaken me as a young girl :-( I really wanna be tall like models or at least till 160 :-D

it's funny how ur's nephews and neices counting their Ediyah loooooool they are amazing i loved them already <3 kids are amazing :-D

SUDHKAMP thanks a lot bro for ur encouging reply ;-) and I'll be more than glad to learn about more veggie meals our chief can cook amazing things so when you learned me i'm going to tell her to cook for me and I'll take a pic for u ^^ << cuz this is the only things that I can do , I can tell you lot's of Arabian veggie dishes

Prof mero

welcome sis

Sim :

wooow u can speak old greek i really want to learn it because due to my study we studied a lot's of old greek and latin books thought we stuided them as translated in English but I want to learn these two languages to read the original texts not the translated

but it seems you have lots of works and exams good luck bro :up:

of course we would like to ask you

What's Aikido?

:)

I guess it belongs to your grand parents long time ago and you like to go harvesting in this grape seasons and enjoy working and making wines from grape and these thin :roll: am i right

and since your always the photographer may i see some of ur photos and i'll show you ,because i like to be the photographer always but my pics are not that good :-?

anyway

people to day i saw a product and these lines were written in it , helps stop the ..... , anyway i thought if i would write such i may say helps to stop the .... <<< Is my sentence correct or the one i saw correct or both :?:

20060921164154-aikido.jpg

Hello, everyone, this is Aikido. I'm not a fan of martial arts, but anyway, check the picture, the guy who is upside down must be thinking "gee, I'll kill the guy who recommended me this thing, next time, I'll take cha cha cha lessons! :lol:"

I think Sim will get a pretty good photos there ..
Thanks Wil ..

be real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back