Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've been watching a competition about acting recently, and it reminded me of my drama class during secondary school. I didn't like drama initially because I needed to memories a lot of lines and it was nerve-racking to perform in front of the audience. However, after a performance, I'd grown to like it because I found it can help me speak more fluently.

I've been watching a competition about acting recently, and it reminded me of my drama class during secondary school. I didn't like drama initially because I needed to memories memorise a lot of lines and it was nerve-racking to perform in front of the audience. However, after a performance, I'd grown to like it because I found it can help me speak more fluently.

I would call it an "acting competition" rather than "a competition about acting".

**in front of an audience

Or you could say you were nervous standing there with all those people watching you.

Last edited:
When I was at school, it was a "drama competition" or "drama contest".

Or "my interest in drama started to develop".

What does “I’d grown to like” mean?

You have grown to like something after a period of time, not after a performance. Your interest in something started after a perfomance. Like Tarheel said, it grows on you.

You have grown to like something after a period of time, not after a performance.
Can it be used for the period of time after the performance? After the performance, I realised that I had improved on speaking and started to like it more and more.

But first, I don't understand why this "I’d grown to like” doesn't work. Is it a grammar problem or that I was using a wrong word?

Last edited:
Can it be used for the period of time after the performance? After the performance, I realised that I had improved on speaking and started to like it more and more.

But first, I don't understand why this "I’d grown to like” doesn't work. Is it a grammar problem or that I was using a wrong word?
I think the course of a performance is too short a time for your interest to "grow". Growing takes time. Then again, it's not a question of grammar but logic. There are other ways to put it. You can say the performance kindled/sparked/aroused your interest in acting.

I think the course of a performance is too short a time for your interest to "grow".
Before the performance, we had practices for a period of time. In fact, I didn't like it during the practice or the performance. I started to like it gradually after them.

Do you mean when I use "I'd grown to like", it means "I started to like it from some point and it lasted for a period"?

I would say it lasted for some time if it stopped happening at some point.

When something like that happens gradually you might not be aware of that while it's going on, but only afterwards.

Back