My mother used to put my shoes on me when I was I'll.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) My mother used to put my shoes on me when I was I'll.

2) My mother used to put my clothes on me when I was I'll.

I was ill and couldn't do anything myself. Are my sentences correct in this context? You told me the same thing for brace but will it work for these things as well?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) My mother used to put my shoes on me when I was I'll ill.
2) My mother used to put my clothes on me when I was I'll ill.

I was ill and couldn't do anything for myself. Are my sentences correct in this context? You told me the same thing I could use a similar construction for when talking about my back brace but will does it work for these things as well?
Note my changes above. Be careful with auto-correct. You've fallen victim to the common problem of auto-correct changing "ill" to "I'll".

I would start with the very relevant "When I was ill" and follow it with "my mother had to dress me".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If somebody is really sick they stay in bed. They don't get dressed at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends on the illness. If I remember rightly, tufguy had spinal TB. It's not the same as just being ill. It's more of a disability (at its worst). It's perfectly feasible for someone to get up and dressed every day even when they're ill.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's not like having a cold or the flu. If a small child has to wear braces, for example, that's an everyday thing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's not like having a cold or the flu. If a small child has to wear braces, for example, that's an everyday thing.
I'm not sure what your point is. Tufguy never said he had a cold or the flu. He was ill as a child and his mother had to do just about everything for him - putting him into his spinal brace, dressing him, putting his shoes on.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He was ill as a child and his mother had to do just about everything for him - putting him into his spinal brace, dressing him, putting his shoes on.
That explains it, doesn't it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That explains it, doesn't it?
Yes, it does. You and tufguy have been members here for almost the same length of time. Back at the beginning, tufguy posted a large number of threads about his medical issues and many of them were about how much his mum had to do for him at that time. I'm surprised you don't remember.

Reactions: 5jj

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did not remember that at all.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm not sure what your point is. Tufguy never said he had a cold or the flu. He was ill as a child and his mother had to do just about everything for him - putting him into his spinal brace, dressing him, putting his shoes on.
Not as a child. I contracted this disease in 2014. When I was a kid I had seizures and it was the left side of my body that kept jerking whenever it happened and at that time as far as I remember according to what my mom told me doctors took out fluid out of my spine with injections for tests and a lot of experiments were done on me at that time😁. I am not sure whether this disease started because of all these things that happened when I was only a few months old.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No, I had to be taken to hospital for check ups with my blood reports. I had to be taken out of my bed and dressed up for that. Otherwise I was always in my bed because there was no mobility in the lower left side and I couldn't control my pee as well because the muscles were also getting damaged so sometimes when they took me out of my bed and stood me up. I peed involuntarily and then my mom used to clean that and she had to change my cloths as well😀. I was loosing control over my body functioning.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say I couldn't control my bladder. (The medical term for that is "incontinence".)

During that time I couldn't dress myself. My mother dressed me and did all the necessary things I couldn't do.

Please note that the word is "clothes," not "cloths".