English Language Articles
Articles about learning, using and teaching the English language, including advice, tutorials, opinions and lesson plans from various authors and contributors. Articles cover topics from English grammar, spelling and punctuation, through to language teaching, career development, specialisations, and ideas and suggestions for the classroom.
Latest Articles & Notes on English
- 25 stupid things about Cambridge First Certificate - 25 illogical parts of FCE that Cambridge need to change, and in the meantime teachers and students have to cope with.
- How to leave and take telephone messages - What to do and say when dictating and taking dictation on the telephone, with useful leaving and taking messages phrases and common mistakes when dealing with dictating on the phone.
- The 100 most useful emailing phrases - A carefully chosen list of essential language for the beginning, body and ending of formal and informal English emails.
- How to end phone calls smoothly and politely - What to do and what not to do when bringing calls to a close, including tips, useful telephoning phrases, and typical mistakes when ending calls.
- 20 things wrong with most self-study books - The biggest problems with self-study EFL materials.
- How to start phone calls in English - How to begin telephone calls, chat at the start of calls and move smoothly to the topic of the call, for both callers and people answering the phone.
- The 100 most useful telephoning phrases - A carefully chosen list of the most important phrases for making and receiving business and personal telephone calls, including lots of useful language for starting and ending calls, dealing with communication problems, taking and leaving messages, etc.
- The most useful can/ canít for ability activities - Interactive classroom activities for can and canít for ability, focussing on language that students really need.
- How to teach 'can' and 'canít' for ability - How to make 'can' and 'canít' lessons really useful for students, including how to identify and deal with common problems with the language of ability.
- How to teach Cambridge First Certificate (FCE) Use of English key word sentence transformations - Teaching tips and stimulating classroom activities for Cambridge First Certificate Reading and Use of English Part Four (writing sentences with the same meaning), with 11 key word sentence transformation games.
Richard Flynn (aka Tdol) is an English teacher and the Site Editor here at UsingEnglish.com. Here, he talks about English usage that catches his eye or ear, and looks at language issues that interest or puzzle him.
Browse The Editor's Blog
Formal Letter Writing - Help with formal and business letter writing. A summary of writing rules including outlines for cover letters and letters of enquiry, and abbreviations used in letters.
Speaking Out - A collection of thoughts, comments and articles regarding some of the issues and discussion points that have been raised in our ESL Forum.