Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Which term could I use to refer to a female who lives in the mountains (e.g., a female living in a mountainous area in Scotland)? Would 'mountaineer woman' or 'mountaineer female' work? In Russian there is the term 'gorianka' ('горянка').

Last edited:
A mountaineer is a person who climbs mountains regularly, usually someone who takes it quite seriously. People who live in mountainous areas aren't necessarily mountaineers.

The term "Scottish Highlander" is, I believe, a general term for a person from.the Scottish Highlands.

I've just found this: "When many of the women and children who lived in her neighborhood left their homes to escape the cruelty of Brown's raiders, Nancy Hart remained at home to protect her little property. How we all love the story of how this rough, simple mountaineer woman outwitted the band of British red coats who demanded food at her cabin. While she served the meal, she cleverly managed to keep their attention diverted while she signaled for aid, and hid their arms, which they had stacked in a corner. Then, when she was discovered, she covered them with a musket, and, true to her word, shot down the first who stepped forward." (by Sophie Lee Foster)

I don't know if Sophie Lee Foster is a contemporary writer but the setting seems to be 18th century. Possibly the word was used at that time for a woman living in the mountains. It isn't used that way now.

I've heard the phrase "hill country woman" used for someone from certain specific regions of the world. I wouldn't use it for any woman in any mountainous region of the world.

Last edited:
I've certainly heard "mountain man" used to describe a man who lives in the mountains so I assume "mountain woman" would be used in the same way.
I've heard Dolly Parton describe herself as "a simple mountain girl" and in this article, she describes her family as "mountain people".

I'd say they work in certain contexts.

"Mountain man" makes me think of a working class man living in a very simple house, catching fish for dinner in a stream and not having much contact with other people.

If you're referring to a specific person living in a mountainous area, especially if she's a wealthy woman who chooses to live there because she likes the solitude, "mountain woman" may not always be apt.

That article about Dolly Parton emphasises her working class roots and the poverty she lived in as a child.

We don't know how White Hat intends to use the term, or who he plans to refer to. Some context would help, White Hat.

Last edited:
The article I'm translating this time is about certain events that took place in the late 18th century in the Caucasus, a mountainous region in what was then the Russian Empire. I've used the term'mountaineers' with no problem before. But this paper specifically involves female residents of those areas. Should I go with 'mountain woman' or 'mountaineer woman'? And could I use 'female' as well?

What's the sentence that you plan to write?

English depends a lot on context. It's difficult to give you suggestions without knowing what the sentence sounds like.

I've also found this: "Finally, Appalachians are often caricatured as Hillbillies. The Hillbilly is often depicted as male, dirty, wearing a straw hat and coveralls, sometimes drinking, sometimes sleeping, and always for the sake of a laugh. This image is often used to justify the experiences of Appalachians with poverty by displaying them as stupid or lazy (Speer, 1987). Again though, women are not present even in this depiction. Barbara Ellen Smith (2001) says, “Fashioned from Adam’s rib, ‘mountain women’ are secondary entirely compatible with the ‘mountain men’ from whom they are derived.” In each of these three monoliths, women were not far behind men: mountaineer women helped carve out the state alongside mountaineer men, coal miner’s wives held some of the fiercest picket lines during the Mine Wars, and women have a deep connection with the hills. They, however, are rarely, if ever, centered." (by Danielle Renee Mullins)

I repeat, "mountaineer" in modern speech is only used to refer to mountain climbers (who may well live in a completely flat city when they aren't mountaineering). :) I've never heard it used to refer to people living in the mountains and if it's used that way, it's very uncommon.

If you give us the sentence you have in mind, we should be able to make a suggestion or two.

Barque, here is the entry in the dictionary -> https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mountaineer (1. A native or inhabitant of a mountainous area. 2. One who climbs mountains for sport.). I need the first one for females.

I've also found this one: "She was a typical mountaineeress, tall, angular and sallow, but there was gleam of intelligence in her face, quite unlike the lacklustreness of the usual woman of the mountains." Link

I'm not convinced. I believe most people would interpret "mountaineer" as "mountain climber" and not "inhabitant of a mountainous region".

Let's see what native speakers of English have to say.

Last edited:
A native speaker would probably point out that you have ignored Barque's repeated requests for more context.

They might also point out that the mention of waiting for native speakers to respond does rather imply that you have doubts about Barque's responses. This must be rather discouraging for Barque when they spend a lot of time giving accurate and helpful responses.

I didn't mean any disrespect. Just need maximum accuracy.

The only use for "mountaineer" nowadays is for the sports teams from West Virginia University and Appalachian State University.

Guys, I'm sorry - there's something wrong with this browser. I use Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112. (I still use Windows XP (and love it).) Hitting 'Reply' doesn't seem to work when I want to quote a post. Although my blocker is off for this website. I guess I'm going to have to try a different browser.

Last edited:
I think "hillbilly" has already been mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back