Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm translating a research paper. Below is an excerpt from it.

"As evidenced in Table 2, in 1900 Orthodox Christians accounted for 88% of the student body in this sector (96.5% combined with members of other Christian denominations). The remaining 3.5% was accounted for by Jews. There were no Muslims. By 1913, i.e. the last pre-war year, Orthodox Christians accounted for 83.3% of the sector’s student body (93% combined with members of other Christian denominations). The remaining 7% was accounted for by Jews (6%) and Muslims (1%). Of note is that the education of the region’s Jewish children was characterized by relative permanence – i.e., most of them would go on to the next grade level. This was not the case with Muslim children. Specifically, in 1907–1909, secondary school was attended in Sukhumi District by Muslim boys only. In 1910, it was attended by 1 boy and 1 girl (the first time that a Muslim female attended secondary school in the region)."

Is 'attended' correct here or should it be 'had attended'? Personally, I wouldn't use 'had' here.

Last edited:
Source and author, please,

I've corrected my original post.

Last edited:
Now we know that the source is 'a research paper'.

What is the title and who is the author?

Now we know that the source is 'a research paper'.

What is the title and who is the author?
I'll be in a position to provide this information a little later. It's a copyright issue.

I'll be in a position to provide this information a little later. It's a copyright issue.

If so, you've already breached copyright by quoting that passage. Telling us the title and author won't make it worse. On the contrary, it'll work in your favour. 🙄

Last edited:
That's not good enough, @White Hat. This forum is based in the UK, where we have very strict copyright laws. If you quote someone else's words and don't credit them by providing the source information we've already asked for, that's a breach of copyright. Saying you'll do it later doesn't work. You must cite the source in the same post that you write the quote. If you didn't already have the author's permission to quote their work, you shouldn't have posted it at all, even your own translation.

This thread has become very snarky and you have failed to respond to our requests for the source. I am closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back