What does "Bidend" mean?

In Bidend, there may also be a play on bid as a verb, cf. bid an end to something, or bid something (to) end ("Let it end").

Well, it's a made up word. Also, assuming he keeps walking, he will soon be out of sight (end).

Sorry to disagree; I don't see that at all.
My reasoning was as follows:

1. Bid, not being bolded, as end is, in the form Bidend., can be read as [bɪd] rather than as [bɑɪd].

2. Bid is a verb, and it is not impossible for the verb bid to be followed by a noun like end (cf. bid adieu, bid farewell).

3. Bidend. contains a period (or full stop, if you prefer), which invites a sentential interpretation.

4. Processed as the imperative Bid end, Bidend. would express the sentiment of many, many Americans at the present time.

If this reasoning strikes everyone here as totally unreasonable, so be it, but it continues to make abundant sense to me.

For what it's worth, the actual TIME cover seems not to have had Bidend. at all. I have no idea where Sitifan got this from.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the actual TIME cover seems not to have had Bidend. at all. I have no idea where Sitifan got this from.
My guess is that someone online faked it for fun. If you look in the top left-hand corner, it's dated August 5, 2024. Either someone's been travelling in time or they just decided to do a mock-up to get attention.

My reasoning was as follows:

1. Bid, not being bolded, as end is, in the form Bidend., can be read as [bɪd] rather than as [bɑɪd].

2. Bid is a verb, and it is not impossible for the verb bid to be followed by a noun like end (cf. bid adieu, bid farewell).

3. Bidend. contains a period (or full stop, if you prefer), which invites a sentential interpretation.

4. Processed as the imperative Bid end, Bidend. would express the sentiment of many, many Americans at the present time.

If this reasoning strikes everyone here as totally unreasonable, so be it, but it continues to make sense to me.

It's a meme. You're putting way too much thought into this. They bolded "end" to make it clear they didn't make a typo. That they meant "end."

They bolded "end" to make it clear they didn't make a typo. That they meant "end."
Why, then, did they use a period after Panic and Bidend? Is it really so idiotic to read Panic. and Bidend. as sentences?

It's a meme.
Your interpretation is not necessary for it to be a meme. It remains a meme on my interpretation.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back