[Grammar] Usage of "Just" with Present Perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with you in this context. That guy maybe have watched Chevy Chase movies for days but recently let's say hours before the interview decided that he must meet Chevy Chase. I have similar stance with academician example. "Always" isn't an adverb that I am asking for it obviously refers way more past.

It would not be natural to say I have recently wanted to do something if the desire had only existed for a few hours or days.

It would not be natural to say I have recently wanted to do something if the desire had only existed for a few hours or days.

Ok, understood thanks all for your patience!
One more question and I am not asking anything.
Then in this respect "just" doesn't have any time adverb meaning either in simple past form of stative verbs : "I just wanted to help you" ?
In such sentences just only means "only" regardless of the tense.
Like "I have just tried to helped you" in present perfect with action verbs does it again mean "only"?

Thanks and have a nice evening!

Last edited:
I just wanted to help you, but now I have changed my mind.

I think 'just' means 'a short time ago' there.

I disagree. In "I just wanted to help you", the only natural definition for "just" is "only" or "simply". If I wanted to express a time period, I'd say "I wanted to help you just now/just then".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back