Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Fans paid money to see Messi. The game was sold out. He didn't play. They're mad and demanding to know why and to get their money back.

Fans paid money to see Messi. The game was sold out. He didn't play. They're mad and demanding to know why and to get their money back.
I get that meaning but I don't understand the structure. What to a sell-out crowd with fans?

The 'fixture'. See definition #4. I believe the term may be more common in BrE, as this definition was new to me.

Yes, I assumed "fixture" was some soccer term. Totally unfamiliar to me.

I get that meaning but I don't understand the structure. What to a sell-out crowd with fans?
You left out something important. One, they played to a sell-out crowd. Two, fans have been demanding that they get their money back for their tickets.

There's always a possibility that somebody can't play because of injury. Those kinds of things aren't planned.

In football terms, "fixture" simply means "match".

This Saturday's fixtures include Aston Villa v Liverpool, Chelsea v Man Utd and Brighton v Crystal Palace.
Have you seen this month's fixture list? I can't believe we've got just one home game, and the three away matches are all over 200 miles away.

(Note that in football (soccer), the name of the team playing at home comes first. In football (American football/gridiron), the name of the team playing away from their own ground comes first.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back