She felt herself followed (by a stranger).

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's determining whether it's factual or not.

I am a little confused.

(A) She felt as if she was being followed.

(B) She felt as if she really was being followed.

(C) She felt as if she were being followed.

Do the three roughly mean the same? That is, she had the feeling but didn't know if that's true. She might (or might not) try to determine/decide if it's true.

Have I understood it?

Sentence B is more definite than A and C.

And A and C mean the same thing. Some Americans use the subjunctive were, others use the indicative was. More careful speakers may prefer the subjunctive, but I suspect the choice usually comes down to whatever we heard while growing up.

1. Should they be "the second (were) ... uses the subjunctive form for this non-factual situation" and "the first (was) uses the indicative"?

2. If the "was" one is also used for a non-factual situation, then how can we say it if we want to use "as if" to describe a situation happening in the past which we think it may be factual?

The subjunctive "were" in an "as if" (or "as though") construction does not by itself indicate that the situation did not happen (or is not happening) in the way described by the "as if"-clause. Traditionally (see H. F. Fowler, for example), "as if"-constructions are reductions of longer constructions containing conditionals.

She felt as if she were being followed. = She felt as [she would feel] if she were being followed.

In other words, if she were being followed, she would feel a certain way, and that was how she felt. To indicate counterfactuality, i.e., that the situation referred to in the "as if"-construction did not happen, we should technically (according to the traditional analysis) use the past perfect (cf. Type 3 conditionals).

She felt as if she had been being followed. = She felt as [she would have felt] if she had been being followed.

In other words, if she had been being followed (counterfactual supposition), she would have felt a certain way, and that was how she felt. Interestingly, because we can't tell, with "were," whether the situation happened or did not happen, is happening or is not happening, we can add "really" in either case. That is, "really" need not be viewed here as being in grammatical conflict with subjunctive "were."

She felt as if she were really being followed. / She feels as if she were really being followed.

In actual practice, I do not have the guts to go with "were" in the present-tense case when there is a belief in factuality, because there is a strong tendency to assume that "were" indicates counterfactuality, even when it is, strictly speaking, neutral. In that case, I generally shift to "as though" and use the present tense:

She feels as though she is really being followed.

Technically, however, "as though" is just "as if" differently phrased, since "though" was used historically to mean "if." On a final note, these constructions are all rather formal. Despite my love of grammar, I do not wish to pretend that I am immune from saying "She feels like she's being followed." On the contrary, that is the first utterance that would come to my tongue. Everything else is editing.

Last edited:
=======
Originally Posted by kadioguy
In this case, might it [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] be factual?
What does "might", as you suggested, instead of "may", here mean?

Does it mean that it is not very likely?

What does "might", as you suggested, instead of "may", here mean?

Does it mean that it is not very likely?
No. The question means "Is it possible that it's factual?"

No. The question means "Is it possible that it's factual?"

Then I don't know why "may" doesn't work. "May" can also mean "possible", can't it? :-?

(I assumed that for emsr2d2 "might" means less likely than "may".)

Last edited:
I'm one of those annoying people that uses "may" only for permission and "might" for possibility.

Hello.
Could you please tell me if my sentences below are correct?

1. She felt herself followed (by a stranger).

That's awkward and confusing. Better: She had a feeling she was being followed.

2. She felt a stranger follow/following her.

That either means that (a) she put her hands on a stranger behind her or (b) a stranger behind her bumped into her. (And either way, it's not natural.)
Feeling something is not the same as having a feeling about something.

Last edited:
Try:

She felt like she was being followed.

(If somebody has already suggested that then please delete this post.)

Try:

She felt like she was being followed.

(If somebody has already suggested that then please delete this post.)
Oh, let's leave it. It's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back