Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
When the infinitive form can be recognized, usually, with a 'to' before it: to eat, to sing, to be, etc, how then is a word which follows categorized, as in to be understood, to be seen, etc? Is it, for want of a better term, just another part of the infinitive (phrase)?

Hi.
*not a teacher*
Those are passive infinitives. At least they were called so by the people who taught me.

These days many people prefer to speak of the (bare) infinitive, as in:..... I can see,.....they must go,.....shall we dance?

and the to-infinitive, as in:..... To err is human, .....I want to leave,,.....don't you want to stay?.

As Verona noted, to be understood is a passive (to-)infinitive, made up of the to-infinitive of BE and the past participle (or third form) of UNDERSTAND.

These days many people prefer to speak of the (bare) infinitive, as in:..... I can see,.....they must go,.....shall we dance?

and the to-infinitive, as in:..... To err is human, .....I want to leave,,.....don't you want to stay?.

As Verona noted, to be understood is a passive (to-)infinitive, made up of the to-infinitive of BE and the past participle (or third form) of UNDERSTAND.
Thanks for the analysis very well explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back