Pronunciation of Forbade

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks a lot

An afterthought: in North America, the past tense is often forbid rather than forbade. As, indeed, bid rather than bade. Both -bid and -bade [bejd] seem quite natural.

An afterthought: in North America, the past tense is often forbid rather than forbade. As, indeed, bid rather than bade. Both -bid and -bade [bejd] seem quite natural.
I think the past tense of "bid" is "bid" among bridge players everywhere.

It would be interesting to know how people in this post pronounce bid and bade.

I recall an English Language lesson at secondary school where we came across the sentence "I bade him goodnight". The tutor read it as "bad". Several students, myself included, looked somewhat baffled and said "Surely it's pronounced to rhyme with laid?" She disagreed. The class degenerated into an argument with no clear winner. In the end the teacher gave up and said "Fine. Tell you what, let's just pretend it reads "I said goodnight to him" and let's get on with the class." Good call, in my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back