Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does 'otherwise' refer to in this passage?:

"Over the last several decades, scholars have developed standards for how best to create, organize, present, and preserve digital information for future generations. What has remained neglected for the most part, however, are the needs of people with disabilities. As a result, many of the otherwise most valuable digital resources are useless for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as for people who are blind, have low vision, or have difficulty distinguishing particular colors."

Does 'otherwise' mean “if the needs of people with disabilities were not neglected” or “if people didn’t have disabilities”? Which reading is better?

I'd appreciate your help in advance!

Welcome to the forum, @junghoepark.

Before we reply, you need to provide the source and author of the quoted text.

This is a forum requirement.

It was from the question of one of Korean high school English mid-term test, Gwnghee highschool, Donghae-si, South Korea. The teacher just quoted this excerpt in the test, which may be modified or restated by the teacher, without any source and author.
My son is a student. He had to solve this question and got confused what the answer is. He has answered that 'otherwise' means "if the needs of people with disabilities were considered." But the answer that the teacher presented was not like that. The teacher insisted that 'otherwise' means "if they didn't have disabilities." My son couldn;t agree with the teacher, that's why he desperately needs your answer to judge whose opinion is right. Please let me know the answer from the native English speaker's perspective.

Last edited:
Thank you, but we don't help with students' assignments.

Last edited:
It was is from the a question of one of from a Korean high school English mid-term test, (Gwnghee High School, Donghae-si, South Korea). The teacher just quoted this excerpt in the test, which may be modified or restated by the teacher, without any source and author.
My son is a student. He had to solve answer this question and got confused what the answer is. but he can't. My son and I and my son desperately need your answer to help my son with his study. Please let me know the answer from the a native English speaker's perspective.
@junghoepark The forum rules clearly state that we don't help with homework or assignments. Your profile shows that you are an "Academic". As such, I'm sure you understand the importance of students submitting their own work, done without any outside help. Your son's teachers aren't interested in finding out what we think the answer is - they want to know what your son thinks.

If you're helping your son with his English, it will be a good idea for him to have a look at my corrections to your post above.

After your son takes the test and has received his results, you're free to come back here and ask us about anything he got wrong but doesn't understand why. Even better, your son could join the forum himself (if he's at least 14 years old).

@junghoepark The forum rules clearly state that we don't help with homework or assignments. Your profile shows that you are an "Academic". As such, I'm sure you understand the importance of students submitting their own work, done without any outside help. Your son's teachers aren't interested in finding out what we think the answer is - they want to know what your son thinks.

If you're helping your son with his English, it will be a good idea for him to have a look at my corrections to your post abov
After your son takes the test and has received his results, you're free to come back here and ask us about anything he got wrong but doesn't understand why. Even better, your son could join the forum himself (if he's at least 14 years old).
I think there was a miscommunication from my question. The assignment has already been finished. My son answered that 'otherwise' means "if the needs of people with disabilities were considered", but the Korean english teacher judged it as incorrect. He said that the answer should be "if they didn't have disabilities." We think the teacher's answer is not correct. That's why I asked here. My son is trying to appeal to school. He is a Korean student, who has a lot of difficulty asking this kind of stuff in English. I don't need your help to finish his homework. I just asked you if the teacher's judgment makes sense or not. Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to ask you to do his assignment instead of him. I just want to know if the teacher's judgment is right or wrong.

Thank you, but we don't help with students' assignments.
I think there was a miscommunication from my question. The assignment has already been finished. My son answered that 'otherwise' means "if the needs of people with disabilities were considered", but the Korean english teacher judged it as incorrect. He said that the answer should be "if they didn't have disabilities." We think the teacher's answer is not correct. That's why I asked here. My son is trying to appeal to school. He is a Korean student, who has a lot of difficulty asking this site in English by himself. I don't need your help to finish his homework! His test has already been closed! I just asked you if the teacher's judgment makes sense or not. Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to ask you to do his assignment instead of him. I just want to know if the teacher's judgment is right or wrong.

In my opinion it means "if people didn't have disabilities". Also please forgive the earlier replies in this thread. The question you posed looked like it was probably homework.

If people who have visual and auditory disabilities did not have these disabilities, then the resources would be highly valuable to them, as they are to people who don't have disabilities. However, since they are disabled, these resources are not very valuable. For example, excellent resources that make heavy use of visual information are not useful for people who can't see well.

In other words, the teacher's interpretation is right.

Last edited:
If people who have visual and auditory disabilities did not have these disabilities, then the resources would be highly valuable to them, as they are to people who don't have disabilities. However, since they are disabled, these resources are not very valuable. For example, excellent resources that make heavy use of visual information are not useful for people who can't see well.

In other words, the teacher's interpretation is right.
The teacher admitted that he was wrong. What I found through this conversation is that someone being able to speak English fluently doesn't necessarily mean that he or she is smart enough to understand the CONTEXT. In light of the context, the passage highlights the lack of accessibility for the disabled, not the disability itself. Of course, I didn't show you the whole passage. Let me show you.

"Over the last several decades, scholars have developed standards for how best to create, organize, present, and preserve digital information for future generations. What has remained neglected for the most part, however, are the needs of people with disabilities. As a result, many of the otherwise most valuable digital resources are useless for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as for people who are blind, have low vision, or have difficulty distinguishing particular colors. While professionals working in educational technology and commercial web design have made significant progress in meeting the needs of such users, some scholars creating digital projects all too often fail to take these needs into account. This situation would be much improved if more projects embraced the idea that we should always keep the largest possible audience in mind as we make design decisions, ensuring that our final product serves the needs of those with disabilities as well as those without. "

'Otherwise' means "if the needs of the disabled were not neglected"

This interpretation is superior for several reasons:
  1. Contextual coherence: It directly relates to the previous sentence about the neglect of accessibility needs, maintaining a logical flow in the paragraph.
  2. Causal relationship: It emphasizes the cause-and-effect relationship between neglecting accessibility and the resulting uselessness of resources for people with disabilities.
  3. Alignment with overall argument: It better supports the paragraph's main point about the importance of considering accessibility in digital resource development.
  4. Constructive framing: This interpretation suggests that the problem (inaccessibility) is solvable by addressing the neglected needs, which aligns with the paragraph's call for improvement.
  5. Inclusive perspective: It doesn't create a divide between people with and without disabilities, but rather focuses on the potential for resources to be valuable for everyone if properly designed.

While the alternative reading ("if there were no disability") offers an interesting perspective, it doesn't connect as seamlessly with the surrounding context and the overall message of the paragraph.

You are good at English simply because it is your native language, not because you are particularly smart. You just happened to be born in a country where English is spoken. However, when it comes to understanding the context of a text, you are not better than non-English speakers.

In the end, my son and I won the argument with the school, and the other English teachers here also agreed that we were right. It might be beneficial for you to improve your logical reasoning skills to better understand the flow of a text.

너희들의 논리력에 실망해서 다시는 이곳을 이용하지 않을 것 같아. 이 밑에다가 계속 열폭하는 댓글 달아봐야 소용없어. 네들 말은 이제 안들을 거거든. 차라리 AI에게 물어보는게 이득인 듯. ㅋㅋㅋ 안녕!!

I had a different opinion, but now, after what so many teachers have said, I can't blow against the wind.

I'd be interested in your opinion @stanislaw.masny. if you don't want to post it here feel free to send it to me via DM and we can discuss it.

Not a teacher.
You are good at English simply because it is your native language, not because you are particularly smart.
What an incredibly rude and downright horrible post! Ironically, despite the wall of text, the reasoning you provide is still wrong, and jutfrank's explanation, while roughly five times shorter, is correct. That sentence doesn't really need any additional context, its meaning is clear enough on its own.

The resources that are useless for people with disabilities, are otherwise most valuable = They are highly valuable for everyone but those with disabilities.

One can't help but feel sorry for the English teacher you seem to have bullied into agreeing with your incorrect opinion. Many such cases, unfortunately!

In light of the context, the passage highlights the lack of accessibility for the disabled, not the disability itself. Of course, I didn't show you the whole passage.

The main focus of the passage is the neglect over decades to accommodate the needs of disabled people. Thank you for adding the wider context (I don't know why you didn't do this before) but it wasn't quite necessary.

Your question pertains to the meaning of the word 'otherwise', not to the overall meaning of the text. The correct interpretation can be made within the first three sentences at most.

'Otherwise' means "if the needs of the disabled were not neglected"

See post #9.

1. Contextual coherence: It directly relates to the previous sentence about the neglect of accessibility needs, maintaining a logical flow in the paragraph.

It coheres, yes, but not instrumentally.

2. Causal relationship: It emphasizes the cause-and-effect relationship between neglecting accessibility and the resulting uselessness of resources for people with disabilities.

Yes. The current state of affairs is the result of decades of neglect. This is expressed with the phrase 'As a result'. However, this causal link does not play a part in the correct interpretation of what 'otherwise' means. My sense is that this is precisely where you and your son have made the error.

3. Alignment with overall argument: It better supports the paragraph's main point about the importance of considering accessibility in digital resource development.

This is irrelevant.

4. Constructive framing: This interpretation suggests that the problem (inaccessibility) is solvable by addressing the neglected needs, which aligns with the paragraph's call for improvement.

This is irrelevant too.

5. Inclusive perspective: It doesn't create a divide between people with and without disabilities, but rather focuses on the potential for resources to be valuable for everyone if properly designed.

I don't really understand this point or its relevance. Do you?

While the alternative reading ("if there were no disability") offers an interesting perspective, it doesn't connect as seamlessly with the surrounding context and the overall message of the paragraph.

As I said, this is wrong. With respect, you'd be foolish to trust an unthinking artificial intelligence tool over people who are professionally trained to create reading comprehension text questions. I could just as easily convince an AI tool to give a different interpretation. These tools do not think critically. Their protocol is to model natural language, not to reason, though it can convincingly appear otherwise.

You are good at English simply because it is your native language, not because you are particularly smart. You just happened to be born in a country where English is spoken. However, when it comes to understanding the context of a text, you are not better than non-English speakers.

With respect, you don't know anything about how smart I am. I'd prefer you didn't make assumption like this. I was just trying to answer your question. For your information, I have studied logic and English language at university level, and I work with texts such as these in my professional life on a near-daily basis.

In the end, my son and I won the argument with the school, and the other English teachers here also agreed that we were right.

So what's the problem? Why did you ask us in the first place?

It might be beneficial for you to improve your logical reasoning skills to better understand the flow of a text.

This would certainly be beneficial to us all.

If you want to discuss this point further, and if you're interested in how and why I came to the interpretation I did, I'm willing to go there, but please let's not resort to personal insults when I'm attempting to explain.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back