Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does 'otherwise' refer to in this passage?:

"Over the last several decades, scholars have developed standards for how best to create, organize, present, and preserve digital information for future generations. What has remained neglected for the most part, however, are the needs of people with disabilities. As a result, many of the otherwise most valuable digital resources are useless for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as for people who are blind, have low vision, or have difficulty distinguishing particular colors."

Does 'otherwise' mean “if the needs of people with disabilities were not neglected” or “if people didn’t have disabilities”? Which reading is better?

I'd appreciate your help in advance!

Welcome to the forum, @junghoepark.

Before we reply, you need to provide the source and author of the quoted text.

This is a forum requirement.

It was from the question of one of Korean high school English mid-term test, Gwnghee highschool, Donghae-si, South Korea. The teacher just quoted this excerpt in the test, which may be modified or restated by the teacher, without any source and author.
My son is a student. He had to solve this question and got confused what the answer is. I and my son desperately need your answer to help my son with his study. Please let me know the answer from the native English speaker's perspective.
1720332842533.png

Last edited:
Thank you, but we don't help with students' assignments.

Last edited:
It was is from the a question of one of from a Korean high school English mid-term test, (Gwnghee High School, Donghae-si, South Korea). The teacher just quoted this excerpt in the test, which may be modified or restated by the teacher, without any source and author.
My son is a student. He had to solve answer this question and got confused what the answer is. but he can't. My son and I and my son desperately need your answer to help my son with his study. Please let me know the answer from the a native English speaker's perspective.
@junghoepark The forum rules clearly state that we don't help with homework or assignments. Your profile shows that you are an "Academic". As such, I'm sure you understand the importance of students submitting their own work, done without any outside help. Your son's teachers aren't interested in finding out what we think the answer is - they want to know what your son thinks.

If you're helping your son with his English, it will be a good idea for him to have a look at my corrections to your post above.

After your son takes the test and has received his results, you're free to come back here and ask us about anything he got wrong but doesn't understand why. Even better, your son could join the forum himself (if he's at least 14 years old).

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back