Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"I don't want to get into an argument about something I have no knowledge about/of."

I'm pretty sure 'about' is the correct one in this context. I'm a little confused about when to use 'knowledge of'.

I'm pretty sure 'about' is the correct one in this context.

I agree. Use 'know/knowledge about' when the meaning concerns familiarity with a particular subject.

He knows a great deal about astrophysics = He has a great deal of knowledge about astrophysics
I didn't know anything about Galileo until just now = I had zero knowledge about Galileo until just now

I'm a little confused about when to use 'knowledge of'.

I'd start here: Use 'know/knowledge of' when the meaning is factual and concerns an answer to a question:

Do you know where he is? = Do you have any knowledge of his whereabouts?
I don't know what happened = I have no knowledge of what happened

Or when the knowledge is awareness of existence:

He doesn't know that I exist = He has no knowledge of my existence
I'm aware of only three men who can do the job = I know of only three men who can do the job

"I don't want to get into an argument about something I have no knowledge about/of."

I'm pretty sure 'about' is the correct one in this context. I'm a little confused about when to use 'knowledge of'.
If you want to avoid choosing between them, you might consider using "concerning which":

I don't want to get into an argument about something concerning which I have no knowledge.

Try:

I don't want to get into an argument about something I don't know anything about.
Here's the context.

There was an argument going on about the existence of God and Islam. I was just a listener. When they asked about my opinion. I said.....

"I do believe in God. But I'm just a regular Muslim that only knows the basic stuff. I don't want to get into an argument about something I have no knowledge about."

I think 'knowledge about' suites this context better since 'don't know anything about' would mean I don't know anything at all (since I do know the basics).

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

"I do believe in God. But I'm just a regular Muslim that only knows the basic stuff. I don't want to get into an argument about something I have no knowledge about."
Here's an idiom that would work nicely there: "[get] in over (one's) head."

I don't want to get in over my head.

Possibilities

I'd rather not say.
Honestly, I haven't thought about it that much.
I wouldn't be able to keep up.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back