Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "to increase knowledge of themselves and the world around them" sound idiomatic?
Do you agree with my corrections? I deleted my versions that I found unidiomatic. I share my opinion about why it is so important for young people to go to university or college.
1. People attend university for a lot of different reasons. The Three common reasons are to prepare for a career, to have new experiences, to experience new things and gain knowledge. and to increase their knowledge of themselves and the world around them. Career preparation is the primary reason that why people attend college. Careers in such fields such as Information Technology will be in demand in the near future. Technology will need many new workers in the near future. At college students can learn new skills in the chosen fields and prepare for better career opportunities in the future. for these careers and increase their opportunities for the future.

People attend university for many reasons. The three common reasons are to prepare for a career, to gain new experiences and to acquire knowledge. Career preparation is the primary reason people go to college. Jobs in the field of information technology will be in great demand in the near future. By taking courses in university in such fields, students would be in a better position take advantage of the career opportunities available to them.

Career preparation is the primary reason that why people attend college.
I wouldn't substitute "why" for "that". However, if you want to use nothing there (instead of "that") you can do that.

Does "to increase knowledge of themselves and the world around them" sound idiomatic?
No.
Do you agree with my corrections? I deleted my versions that I found unidiomatic. I share am expressing my opinion about why it is so important for young people to go to university or college.
See below.
People attend university for a lot of different reasons.
That's not wrong, but you can say "... for (many) different reasons" or "... for various reasons".
The Three most common reasons/ones are to prepare for a career, to have new experiences, to experience new things, and to gain knowledge.

Career preparation is the primary reason (why) people attend college. Careers in such fields as information technology are and will likely continue to be in demand in the near future.
You can also say "... in fields such as ...".
At college students can learn new skills
That "can" is not wrong. You can include it or leave it out.
in their chosen fields and prepare for gain qualifications that give them better career opportunities prospects in the future.

Back