[Grammar] help with commas usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have been good if you'd waited for a reply to post #42 before posting a new question. In fact, you should probably have started a new thread for the contents of post #43.
Still, since it's here already, I'll tell you - "While eating my diner, the door knocked" means absolutely nothing. The first half has a spelling mistake and the second half is grammatically incorrect.

It would have been good if you'd waited for a reply to post #42 before posting a new question. In fact, you should probably have started a new thread for the contents of post #43.
Still, since it's here already, I'll tell you - "While eating my diner, the door knocked" means absolutely nothing. The first half has a spelling mistake and the second half is grammatically incorrect.

Yes, I guess I should have waited but I have been thinking about this sentence for a long time.

What spelling mistake do you see in the first half?

I shorted the sentence from: “While eating my dinner, I heard the door knocked.” I was wondering what the meaning would be if I removed the pronoun, and would it break any grammar rules?

Unfortunately, you also shortened the correct word "dinner" to the incorrect word "diner".

"I heard the door knocked" is also grammatically incorrect. A door can't knock. It's an inanimate object. Someone can knock on the door. Try again.

Unfortunately, you also shortened the correct word "dinner" to the incorrect word "diner". "I heard the door knocked" is also grammatically incorrect. A door can't knock. It's an inanimate object. Someone can knock on the door. Try again.
"diner" that's a typo. I re-read that about the door, and I see what you mean. Is it possible to rewrite it like this: "I heard the door-knocked."? I just want to describe the sound of the knock on the door.

I heard a knock on the door.
I heard someone knock/knocking on the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back