[Grammar] help with commas usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I want to bring this sentence up: "Thank you, I feel so relieved." that I wrote in this thread. My understanding of the compound hyphen should be used if the word comes before a noun, so the sentence should actually be: "Thank-you, I feel so relieved."

Is that correct the correct usage?

No. It's a fixed phrase.

No. It's a fixed phrase.

Just to clarify what a phrase is, it is said a phrase does not contain a subject and a verb, but because "Thank" is a verb but "you" is not a subject is this the reason why it qualifies as a phrase?

Here in this example below the "thank-you" is grammatically correct to use the compound hyphen, agree?

"He wrote a thank-you note/letter to his aunt to thank her for the birthday present she sent him."

We don't even use the hyphen in "She wrote a thank you note".

We don't even use the hyphen in "She wrote a thank you note".

Why not?

The quoted sentence was taken from the dictionary, surely they can't be wrong? <--- by the way, is that sentence a comma splice?

Last edited:
Just to clarify what a phrase is,

In the everyday sense of the word that GoesStation was using, a fixed phrase is what we sometimes call an 'expression'.

it is said a phrase does not contain a subject and a verb,

No, that's not true. In linguistics, phrases may or may not contain subjects and verbs.

but because "Thank" is a verb but "you" is not a subject is this the reason why it qualifies as a phrase?

No. It's just a fixed expression.

Here in this example below the "thank-you" is grammatically correct to use the compound hyphen, agree?

"He wrote a thank-you note/letter to his aunt to thank her for the birthday present she sent him."

No, you don't need a hyphen there.

No, you don't need a hyphen there.

So it's optional to use it? The sentence was taken from the Cambridge dictionary. See here:

Attachments

• thankyou.jpg
    thankyou.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 4
You don't need a hyphen there.

I know you don't need it, but it's not grammatically incorrect usage is it? They say when it comes to compound hyphens there are no rules. They say compound hyphens should be used for clarity if the meaning could be confused with something else.

There are still a lot of people that still use the hyphenated version as shown in the example.

I would use the hyphen. It indicates that thank-you is a compound adjective modifying note.

I would use the hyphen. It indicates that thank-you is a compound adjective modifying note.

Umm... I might be wrong but someone correct me if I am, but adjective describe nouns, so that should be: "compound adjective describing note" because it's not modifying its describing "note".

The process of (I think) modifying happens when the two words are joined together by the hyphen to modify the noun to form an adjective. Am I right?

Umm... I might be wrong but someone correct me if I am, but adjective describe nouns, so that should be: "compound adjective describing note" because it's not modifying its describing "note".

The process of (I think) modifying happens when the two words are joined together by the hyphen to modify the noun to form an adjective. Am I right?
No. Adjectives modify nouns.

No. Adjectives modify nouns.

There seems to be a lot of different definition of the adjective meaning, but all having the same results. What's your interpretation of modify in terms of grammar?

To modify something is to change it. In other words, we expand on the definition of something when we modify it. In the example of a thank you note we are being specific about what kind of note we are talking about.

To modify something is to change it. In other words, we expand on the definition of something when we modify it. In the example of a thank you note we are being specific about what kind of note we are talking about.

In adjective I agree they are modifiers (modifiers change the noun). The explanation GoesStation wrote is just written in a formal way, but he did not expand upon the meaning.

In language, adjective can be used to modify or describe something to give us more information.
Adjectives definition: Describes, give more information about, or limit a noun.

Two things.

You use too many words, HeartShape.

Everybody on this forum already knows what an adjective is and doesn't need to be told.

Two things.

You use too many words, HeartShape.

Everybody on this forum already knows what an adjective is and doesn't need to be told.

That's because I am still learning. If you help me with my English I will write less words.

Hi,

What do people understand by this sentence: While eating my diner, the door knocked?

HeartShape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back