Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John bought a new car. He had taken a loan of seven lakh rupees from the bank. He had to pay installments/ EMI for four years that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later because of some economic difficulty he couldn't pay EMI. He wrote an application to the bank manager telling his condition and asking to extend the EMI time span to eight years which was four years earlier. He also asked them to reduce the amount of EMI/ installments so that he could pay them easily.

Please check my sentences.

Who's your audience? I only heard the word lakh used when I came into regular contact with South Asians. If you are talking to a wider English-speaking audience, I'd recommend you avoid such terms.

The BrE spelling is "instalment" with one "l", which I think is used in India.
What is "lakh" and EMI?

Who's your audience? I only heard the word lakh used when I came into regular contact with South Asians. If you are talking to a wider English-speaking audience, I'd recommend you avoid such terms.

John bought a new car. He had taken a loan of seven hundred thousand rupees from the bank. He had to pay instalments/ EMI for four years that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later because of some economic difficulty he couldn't pay EMI. He wrote an application to the bank manager telling his condition and asking to extend the EMI time span to eight years which was four years earlier. He also asked them to reduce the amount of EMI/ installments so that he could pay them easily.

The BrE spelling is "instalment" with one "l", which I think is used in India.
What is "lakh" and EMI?

100000 this is one lakh or one hundred thousand. EMI means equated monthly instalment.

What is an "equated monthly instalment"? I know what a "monthly instalment" is. It's the word "equated" that has confused me here.

To me, "taken out a loan" works better than "taken a loan".

To me, "taken out a loan" works better than "taken a loan".

John bought a new car. He had taken out a loan of seven hundred thousand rupees from the bank. He had to pay instalments/ EMI for four years that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later because of some economic difficulty he couldn't pay EMI. He wrote an application to the bank manager telling his condition and asking to extend the EMI time span to eight years which was four years earlier. He also asked them to reduce the amount of EMI/ installments so that he could pay them easily.

Could you please check it now?

What is an "equated monthly instalment"? I know what a "monthly instalment" is. It's the word "equated" that has confused me here.

It means you will have to pay a certain amount until you finish paying the instalments. There will be no change in the amount until the last instalment has been paid.

Ah, so "equal monthly instalments" in BrE.

Or "fixed monthly instalments"

I cannot help but notice that your response is not a sentence. Perhaps it is understandable in conversational English but is that what you are trying to teach here?

I cannot help but notice that your response is not a sentence. Perhaps it is understandable in conversational English but is that what you are trying to teach here?

Lynxear sir, I do not have any right to say anything because I am just a learner. You are a teacher for me but EMS has been a very good teacher. She along with others have taught me a lot of good things. But after all we are all human beings we do make mistakes.

Could you please help me with my sentences? Nobody has checked my sentences. Could you please tell me what amendments can be made?

Could you please help me correct these sentences? Nobody has checked them. Please tell me what are my mistakes.

John bought a new car. He had taken out a loan of seven hundred thousand rupees from the bank. He had to pay instalments/ EMI for four years, that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later,because of some economic difficulty, he couldn't [STRIKE]pay EMI[/STRIKE]. He wrote [STRIKE]an application[/STRIKE] a letter to the bank manager [STRIKE]telling his condition[/STRIKE]explaining his problem and asking to [STRIKE]extend the EMI time span[/STRIKE] to have the payment period extended to eight years [STRIKE]which was four years earlier.[/STRIKE] He also asked [STRIKE]them [/STRIKE] him (the bank manager) to reduce the amount of the EMI/ instal[STRIKE]l[/STRIKE]ments so that he could pay them easily.(It is understood that the instalment amount is reduced if payment is spread over a longer period)

Please tell me what [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] my mistakes are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back