English Idioms and Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've reached the age where I don't understand what young native speakers say. ;-)

He looks young for his age?

:wink:

RonBee said:
Q: What is "the tip of the iceberg"?

A: Evidence of things unseen. The tip of the iceberg is only a small part of it. Most of an iceberg is below the water.

I have questions for this one. Shouldn't evidence of things unseen be the part that is below the water? I can see the tip easily. Why?

:?:

blacknomi said:
RonBee said:
Q: What is "the tip of the iceberg"?

A: Evidence of things unseen. The tip of the iceberg is only a small part of it. Most of an iceberg is below the water.

I have questions for this one. Shouldn't evidence of things unseen be the part that is below the water? I can see the tip easily. Why?

:?:

You can see the tip of the iceberg because it is above water. The tip of the iceberg is the visible evidence of what cannot be seen (the rest of the iceberg) because it is below water. Metaphorically, when somebody refers to the tip of the iceberg he means that there is much more than is obvious. It is somewhat similar to "Where there is smoke there is fire". In other words, what you can see indicates that there is more that you can't see.

:)

Ah, I see. Thanks, Ron the Poet.

I've heared this idiom in a movie called "Big Fish." If my memory serves, the son asked his father "Have you heard about the iceburg theory?" His father answered "I have seen an iceburg when I was...." (I am not sure of the wording) :wink:

I am not sure what is meant by the iceberg theory. After all, it is not a theory. Most of an iceberg (about seven-eighths) really is below the surface. Perhaps that "iceberg theory" remark makes more sense in the context of the movie. (Or maybe not.)

Re:
  • Banging one's head against a brick wall.

Meaning: feeling frustrated because of working hard to achieve something and not getting any results. (That is, only negative results.)

Example:
  • I've been banging my head against a brick wall and all I've gotten out of it is a headache. I've been trying to explain things to her, but she just won't listen.

:(

Re:
  • Going around in circles.

Explanation: trying hard to succed but failing to make any progress .

Example:
  • You are going around in circles with that project of yours. You haven't made any progress. Maybe you need some help.

Re:
  • like pulling teeth

Explanation: frustrating; exasperating; difficult and frustrating; frustratingly difficult; maddening

Example:
  • It's like pulling teeth trying to get you to say what you really mean. I wonder if it is really worth it.

Re:
  • back to square one

Explanation: starting over; starting at the beginning because previous efforts have failed

Example:
  • Looks like it's back to square one. I guess we'll have to try something different this time.

:(

RonBee said:
Re:

Example:
  • You are going around in circles with that project of yours. You haven't made any progress. Maybe you need some help.

I describe someone whose talk is not clear, and keeps explaining again and again. I would say "His presentation goes in circles." Right?

Hi, Ron

May I suggest? :lol:

It's good to learn these idioms and sayings. But I don't have much impression of these after reading it over if I don't use it in a real conversation or in any writing assignment. In my humble opinion, you could collect some of sayings that are closely related to a single concept, it may accelerate learning!

Either

Concept: Angry
1. hit the ceiling
2. go through the roof
3. ...
4. ...

or

Concept: Eat (idioms that contain the word 'eat')
1. eat your heart out
2. eat humble pie
3. dog-eat-dog world
4. ...

What do you say? :lol:

blacknomi said:
RonBee said:
Re:

Example:

I describe someone whose talk is not clear, and keeps explaining again and again. I would say "His presentation goes in circles." Right?

Yes, that is exactly right.

:D

blacknomi said:
Hi, Ron

May I suggest? :lol:

It's good to learn these idioms and sayings. But I don't have much impression of these after reading it over if I don't use it in a real conversation or in any writing assignment. In my humble opinion, you could collect some of sayings that are closely related to a single concept, it may accelerate learning!

Either

Concept: Angry
1. hit the ceiling
2. go through the roof
3. ...
4. ...

or

Concept: Eat (idioms that contain the word 'eat')
1. eat your heart out
2. eat humble pie
3. dog-eat-dog world
4. ...

What do you say? :lol:

Your suggestion is a good one, but I have been putting them up as I think of them. (Did you notice a theme in my most recent posts?)

Re:
  • "She hit the roof when I came in late. She wouldn't accept my explanation, and I wound up in the doghouse."

Does anybody want to explain (or ask questions about) that one?

RonBee said:
Your suggestion is a good one, but I have been putting them up as I think of them. (Did you notice a theme in my most recent posts?)

Are you "frustrated" now? Keep your chin up.

blacknomi said:
RonBee said:

Are you "frustrated" now? Keep your chin up.

Yep. You got it.

Q: What does “You beat me to it” mean?

A: It means somebody else (the person spoken to in this case) did it first (whatever “it” is). Example: “I was going to answer that question, but it looks like Mike beat me to it.”

;-)

RonBee said:
Q: What does “You beat me to it” mean?

A: It means somebody else (the person spoken to in this case) did it first (whatever “it” is). Example: “I was going to answer that question, but it looks like Mike beat me to it.”

;-)

Hip Hip Hooray! I know this one.
Mike said it before. Thanks to Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back