English Idioms and Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
blacknomi said:
Ron got married last year, but he's seeing Cas now, and he had a candlelit dinner with Susan. Today he is with me. 8)

Is there a proverb to describe this triangle?

I say he has "too many irons in the fire," and he cannot "have his cake and eat it too."

bmo said:
blacknomi said:
Ron got married last year, but he's seeing Cas now, and he had a candlelit dinner with Susan. Today he is with me. 8)

Is there a proverb to describe this triangle?

I say he has "too many irons in the fire," and he cannot "have his cake and eat it too."

And if he plays with fire, he get burnt. :) 8)

Ron's been fooling around. He's been playing with fire, and he might get burnt.

:wink:

It's a late hello, but
Better late than never. :)

Remember the idioms that we were discussing about? Play the field, play with fire and so on. I heard some say "two timers". :)

[quote="

Remember the idioms that we were discussing about? Play the field, play with fire and so on. I heard some say "two timers". :)[/quote]

double standards
two faces

Just bumped into this post and I think itpresents a nice collections of sayings. it's also good to have a native speaker checking them out:). I just hate mugging up new pharses that later turn out to be opaque to most natives.

Anyway, one of my favorites lately:

A rolling stone gathers no moss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back