English Idioms and Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beeuurkes said:
RonBee said:
More questions. :)

What does it mean to put your money where your mouth is?

To be a spendthrift ?

It means to follow through on what you said you were going to do. To put your money where your mouth is is to follow words with action.

:)

What does it mean to be out of the loop?

If you are out of a loop, you are not included in the discussion. For example, the VP was out of the loop in the merger deal.

What does it mean to bury your head in the sand?

That you refuse to know purposely.

For example, if not for his burying his head in the sand and refusing to change at the pivotal time, we would have been more competitive now.

bmo said:
What does it mean to be out of the loop?

If you are out of a loop, you are not included in the discussion. For example, the VP was out of the loop in the merger deal.

That you refuse to know purposely.

For example, if not for his burying his head in the sand and refusing to change at the pivotal time, we would have been more competitive now.

You hit a home run again.

:D

This expression is about an ostrich when he's afraid of something. Then he burries his head in the sand. So I think it's about running away for problems, you don't want to face your problems.

sanny said:

This expression is about an ostrich when he's afraid of something. Then he burries his head in the sand. So I think it's about running away for problems, you don't want to face your problems.

Yep. A person who is burying his head in the sand is ignoring his problems. Perhaps he hopes they will go away if he ignores them. Or maybe he just doesn't want to face them. I don't think it means he is running away from them. He is just pretending they don't exist.

(Say: running away from)
(Say: buries (rhymes with berries))

bmo said:
RonBee said:

Would you give an example please.

I looked for a good example, and the only one I found was at that website. How about these:
  • You say you support his candidacy. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is? Give something to his campaign.

I'm tired of all your talk. Let's see some action. Put your money where your mouth is. Do what you say you are going to do.

How's that?

bmo said:
What is an ax to grind?

Somebody with an ax to grind has a bee in his bonnet. He's itchin' to pick a fight about something.

Example:
  • Sam has an ax to grind. He recently lost his job and he's been going around bad mouthing his former boss.

How's that?

What does it mean to let the cat out of the bag?

What does it mean to spill the beans?

What is meant by "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"?

RonBee said:
What does it mean to let the cat out of the bag?

What does it mean to spill the beans?

Thanks. Let the cat out of the bag and spell the beans are the same: revealing a secret.

My little sister spells the bean; she told mom I am seeing Tom again.

RonBee said:

Funny, they have the same expression in Dutch "De appel valt niet ver van de boom" and that means, if I remember well, that a son is often like his father. Am I right ?

Beeuurkes said:
RonBee said:

Funny, they have the same expression in Dutch "De appel valt niet ver van de boom" and that means, if I remember well, that a son is often like his father. Am I right ?

Close enough!

(English: apple; Dutch: appel; German: apfel)

Bob: Sam, you expect the world to dance to your tune.
Sam: No, I don't. I just expect everybody to do what I want them to.

What does it mean to burn your bridges behind you?

RonBee said:
What does it mean to burn your bridges behind you?

To eliminate any possibility of a retreat to a former position.

According to The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back