Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
The below sentence is the opening of my recently published blog. I have uncertainties on how to place commas and full stop in a sentence. I'd also need general corrections on the sentence. Thank you.

"Nobody tapped me to wake up right after the minute I noticed that the chalice firmly held in my hands almost got blown away by a powerful wind emerging from the top of the building where the burnt sacrifice or offering was hosted".

The below sentence below is the opening of my recently published blog. I have uncertainties on how to place I'm not sure about the placement of commas and full stops. in a sentence. I'd I also need general corrections on to/of the sentence. Thank you.
Please note my changes above. Before we consider commenting on your main text, please confirm that your member profile is correct. Your piece doesn't read as if it was written by someone who grew up speaking American English. It's very unusual for someone who was born in and grew up in Nigeria, and still lives there, to have American English as their native language.

Please note my changes above. Before we consider commenting on your main text, please confirm that your member profile is correct. Your piece doesn't read as if it was written by someone who grew up speaking American English. It's very unusual for someone who was born in and grew up in Nigeria, and still lives there, to have American English as their native language.
Apologies, made the changes, didn't think of seeing my native language in the list.

Apologies. I have made the changes. I didn't think of seeing expect to see my native language in the list.
Please remember to write in complete sentences. Just about every native language is on that list!
"Nobody tapped me to wake up right after the minute I noticed that the chalice firmly held in my hands almost got blown away by a powerful wind emerging from the top of the building where the burnt sacrifice or offering was hosted".
I'm afraid I can't work out what you're trying to express with this rather long sentence. For a start, "Nobody tapped me to wake up" doesn't make sense. I suspect you might mean "Nobody tapped me to wake me up". Is that right? If so, I don't understand the relevance. Were you expecting someone to tap you to wake you up just after you noticed that something had happened to the chalice? I think you need to explain the whole scenario in a different way so we understand what happened.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back