Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Because Bush was bent on confrontation with Iran, he missed a historic opportunity to mend relations in the early part of the decade and to do so on the United States terms.

Source: The Untold Story of the United States (p537)

Does "do so on the United States terms" mean "do so in a way that most favors the US"?

Am I the only person who thinks it's missing an apostrophe? I would expect "... on the United States' terms".

I would add an apostrophe, which probably makes us members of the AAAAAA, the American Association Against Appalling Apostrophe Abuse.

I would add an apostrophe, which probably makes us members of the AAAAAA, the American Association Against Appalling Apostrophe Abuse.
I would add an additional two "A"s before I become a member: the American Association Against Appalling Apostrophe Absence and Abuse.

Better watch out for the AAAAAAA, then: the American Anti-Acronym and Anti-Abbreviation Association.

It actually began life as the AAAA (Association for the Annihilation of the Aberrant Apostrophe) set up by the British journalist Keith Waterhouse, and author of the brilliant novel Billy Liar. I am sure that Keith would raise at least one glass to every additional A to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back