Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Why does "Tom's friend" convey a possessive relationship, while "Tom's a friend" serves as an introduction?

Why does "Tom's friend" convey a possessive relationship,

The apostrophe followed by the letter 's' is possessive. So 'Tom's friend' is a person—a friend of Tom.

while "Tom's a friend" serves as an introduction?

This is a contracted form of Tom is a friend (of mine). It doesn't work especially well as an introduction.

The apostrophe followed by the letter 's' is possessive. So 'Tom's friend' is a person—a friend of Tom.
This is a contracted form of Tom is a friend (of mine). It doesn't work especially well as an introduction.
When we figure out that 's' is about possession, and when is 's' a letter 'is'?
proper noun + 's + noun => possessive?
proper noun + 's + noun phrase => 's = is (be)?

What's the difference between a possessive and a contraction, and how do we know if a word is one not the other?

Context. And it's instantaneous. There is no figuring out involved.

If you just say "Tom's friend" that tells me instantly that you're talking about a friend of Tom. You don't even need a complete sentence. However, in "Tom's a friend of mine" it can only be a contraction. Nothing else would make sense.

When How can we figure out that 's' is about possession, and when is 's' a letter not the verb 'is' or even the verb "has"?
Note the last part I added to your question. The basic explanation is:

- If there is a past participle verb in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is short for "has".
For example:
Tom's truly been much happier after quitting that terrible job. [Tom has truly been much happier after quitting that terrible job.]

-If there is just a noun phrase (and no other finite verb) in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is short for "is".
For example:
Tom's a happy-go-lucky guy. [Tom is a happy-go-lucky guy.]

-If there is an -ing verb in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is short for "is".
For example:
Tom's running fast. [Tom is running fast.]

-If there is already a finite verb (indicating tense) in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is the possessive "s".
Tom's persistence paid off in the end. [The persistence of (the persistence that belongs to) Tom paid off in the end].

Last edited:
Matt has one brother. OK

Back