Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hello!
I would like to ask you a question about the meanings of the vebs ""slap" and "spank" in relation to the following text:
"Cesira was outraged and upset. She slapped and spanked Roseta for her behaviour."
What is the difference between "slap" and "spank"? As far as I understand them, both mean "to hit someone with the palm of the hand". I am not a native English speaker and I do not understand the meaning of the text very well. For me it sounds something like "She hit Roseta with the palm of her hand and then she hit her with palm of her hand", the same action expressed through different verbs.
What would a native English speaker assume if he/she heard the sentence "She slapped and spanked Roseta for her behaviour."?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's odd to see both of those words in the same sentence. Is that your sentence?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you slap somebody, you normally strike them on the face or (with children) arm or leg.

You spank people on their buttocks.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um, I would spank somebody on the behind/butt if I was going to do that.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Generally, we 'slap' on the face, and 'spank' on the butt.

'Slap' often has a sense of anger or malice, sometimes involuntary. 'Spank' has more of a sense of deliberate punishment without malice.

A 'slap' is also often delivered at a (roughly) right angle to the target, while a 'spank' comes straight on.

However, none of that is absolute, and there are of course more nuanced uses. For example, it's common for athletes to hit each other on the butt as a show of support, but in that case we use 'slap', not 'spank'. You might also 'slap' someone's hand , arm, or shoulder as a (typically minor) reprimand - hence the idiom 'slap on the wrist'. Someone hitting the palm of their hand against their own knee in humor is 'slapping' their knee. Hence really funny jokes are sometimes called 'knee-slappers'

What would a native English speaker assume if he/she heard the sentence "She slapped and spanked Roseta for her behaviour."?
Without additional context, I'd take it to mean she slapped Rosetta on the face, and then spanked her on the butt.

Edit: missing word in final setence - added 'mean'.

Last edited:

I_Iliev

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you for your replies. Now I understand the difference between the two verbs.
The sentence I used is from a short description of the plot of Alberto Moravia`s book "La Ciociara" translated into English as "Two women". The main characters are a mother (Cesira) and her daughter (Roseta). The sentence in the short description is "She slapped and spanked Roseta for her behaviour."".
I have found the scene in question in the book where the action is described in detail. What happens is exactly as Skraj assumes it as a native English speaker. In the thread Skrej wrote: "Without additional context, I'd take it to mean she slapped Rosetta on the face, and then spanked her on the butt.".
The scene in the book, with additional context, describes how Roseta comes home late. Her mother is angry and first she slaps her daughter on the face and then throws her on the bed and spanks her on the bottom.
There are two movies based on the book: "Two women" (1960) and "Running away" (1989). Both movies picture the scene in question.

Thank you again for all your answers.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
**in detail
**additional context
**on the bottom

emmamatin1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Slap" and "spank" are two different words that describe physical actions, typically involving contact with the skin, often on the buttocks or other parts of the body. However, they are used in different contexts and can have different connotations.

1. Slap: A slap is a forceful strike with an open hand, typically making contact with the face or other parts of the body. It can be intended as a gesture of aggression, punishment, or even as a wake-up call. Slapping someone can be considered disrespectful, hurtful, and sometimes even violent. In many cultures, slapping is seen as a negative or aggressive action.
  2. Spank: A spank is a mild strike, often with an open hand, specifically on the buttocks. Spanking is commonly associated with disciplinary actions, particularly towards children, although it can also have erotic or consensual connotations in certain adult contexts. Spanking is generally less forceful than a slap and is often used as a form of punishment or behavior correction.
In summary, the main differences between "slap" and "spank" are the target area (face or body for a slap, and buttocks for a spank), the forcefulness of the action, and the associated connotations and contexts. Slapping is generally considered more aggressive and negative, while spanking can vary in its connotations depending on the situation.

I_Iliev

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
emmamatin1, thank you for the detailed explanation about the difference between the two verbs. It is very useful for non native English speakers.

Regarding the verb "spank", I have just read some dictionary definitions and I have noticed that some dictionaries define "spank" in the following way: "to slap on the buttocks" (which means only on the buttocks) and other dictionaries define it in this way: "to slap with the open hand, especially on the buttocks" (which presumably means that some people use it for other parts of the body as well; according to this definition it is especially on the buttocks, not exclusively).
I understand that in general "spank" is used for "slapping the buttocks" but according to your real life English language experience, do you think that "spank" can be used for slapping/hitting other parts of the body as well?
In case "spank" can be used for slapping other parts of the body, are those uses common or are they rare?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
according to your real life English language experience, do you think that "spank" can be used for slapping/hitting other parts of the body as well?
Not really.
In case "spank" can be used for slapping other parts of the body, are those uses common or are they rare?
I suppose it could be used of striking the upper parts of the back of the thighs.

I_Iliev

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I suppose it could be used of striking the upper parts of the back of the thighs.
Is this use of "spank" (for striking the upper parts of the back of the thighs) common?
In relation to the thighs (and more specifically to the upper parts of the back of the thighs), which one is more used: "to spank on the thighs" or "to slap on the thighs"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@emmematin1, welcome to the forum. :)

Please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this use of "spank" (for striking the upper parts of the back of the thighs) common?

This isn't a use that can be common or uncommon. It's not part of the lexical meaning of the verb spank that it must be applied to the buttocks. The basic sense of 'spank' that you're referring to relates to a way of hitting someone as a punishment but without causing serious harm. This is the case whether it's a parent hitting a child or two lovers having sex. The two most obvious places where you can effectively do this are the buttocks and the upper legs.

In relation to the thighs (and more specifically to the upper parts of the back of the thighs), which one is more used: "to spank on the thighs" or "to slap on the thighs"?

That's not a good question, either. It's not a question of commonness, and it's not essentially a question of which part of the body it's done to. With 'spank', in its sense of corporal punishment, you have to think about the intention behind the action.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The last word. When you are spanking somebody you might miss the butt and hit the upper thigh. The last word.

I_Iliev

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
This isn't a use that can be common or uncommon. It's not part of the lexical meaning of the verb spank that it must be applied to the buttocks. The basic sense of 'spank' that you're referring to relates to a way of hitting someone as a punishment but without causing serious harm. This is the case whether it's a parent hitting a child or two lovers having sex. The two most obvious places where you can effectively do this are the buttocks and the upper legs.

That's not a good question, either. It's not a question of commonness, and it's not essentially a question of which part of the body it's done to. With 'spank', in its sense of corporal punishment, you have to think about the intention behind the action.

I am not a native English speaker and I am trying to understand the exact meaning. I could be wrong but I have the impression that the part of the body which is hit/slapped is part of the lexical meaning of the verb "spank", and according to the dictionaries it is the buttocks (or especially the buttocks). The buttocks, as a body part, are mentioned in the lexical definitions of "spank". For instance, according to the Collins English Dictionary the definition of spank is "to slap or smack with the open hand, especially on the buttocks". I understand that the punishment without causing serious harm is a key point in the lexical definition of "spank" (and some dictionaries mention it in their definitions) but in this specific definition of the Collins English Dictionary the punishment is not mentioned and the dictionary puts an accent only on the way of hitting and the body part which is hit/slapped. Also, there is a ritual called "birthday spanking" which is not a punishment. That is why I think that "spank" is more or less lexically related to a specific body part which is the buttocks. You can slap someone several times on the front of his/her thighs as a punishment without causing a serious harm, but is it a spanking or is it a slapping? That is why I ask the question if "spank" can be used for hitting the thighs or it is better to use "slap" in this case.

I_Iliev

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
The last word. When you are spanking somebody you might miss the butt and hit the upper thigh. The last word.
I understand very well now. Your explanation corresponds to the lexical definition of "spank" which according to the Collins English Dictionary is "to slap or smack with the open hand, especially on the buttocks".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not a native English speaker
We already know that. It's right there in your member profile.
I am trying to understand the exact meaning. I could be wrong but I have the impression that the part of the body which that is hit/slapped is part of the lexical meaning of the verb "spank", and according to the dictionaries it is the buttocks (or especially the buttocks). The buttocks, as a body part, are mentioned in the lexical definitions of "spank". For instance, according to the Collins English Dictionary the definition of "spank" is "to slap or smack with the open hand, especially on the buttocks". I understand that the punishment without causing serious harm is a key point in the lexical definition of "spank" (and some dictionaries mention it in their definitions) but in this specific definition of the Collins English Dictionary the punishment is not mentioned and the dictionary puts an accent only on the way of hitting and the body part which is hit/slapped.
That could be because it's not always punishment. There can be playful spanking between friends or romantic partners, and there are some people who gain sexual gratification from giving/receiving a spank.
Also, there is a ritual called "birthday spanking" which is not a punishment.
Where does this happen? I've never heard of it.
That is why I think that "spank" is more or less lexically related to a specific body part which is the buttocks. You can slap someone several times on the front of his/her thighs as a punishment without causing a serious harm, but is it a spanking or is it a slapping? That is why I asked the question if "spank" can be used for hitting the thighs or if it is better to use "slap" in this case.
I wouldn't use "spank" for the front of the thighs.

The simple answer is that if you stick with using "spank" for the buttocks and "slap" for the other parts of the body, you can't go wrong.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've heard of birthday spanking, but it was a long long time ago. It's a playful thing. You get one for each year. (They might still do it some places. I don't know.,)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And then a "pinch to grow an inch" and a "punch to grow a bunch."

Status