Diary - Yesterday, my English teacher discussed freegans and food waste

How about:
Thinking about it now, I wasted a lot of food...
Come to think of it, I wasted a lot of food...

@kadioguy I might say: "Now that I think about it, I wasted a lot of food during the lockdown."

I believe I discussed that sentence in my imaginary dialogue (which nobody appreciates).
I appreciate that.:geek:

Could this be a run-on sentence? Maybe it doesn't really matter in informal writing?
No. It's not a run-on sentence. The "that" shown in Tarheel's post is implied in the BrE version. I wouldn't use an article before "lockdown". In BrE, we just refer to it as "lockdown". I'd use the article only if I were specifying a particular instance. For example, "I got really bored during the second lockdown".

Apparently, freegans go to the back of food shops and take food that's been thrown out, sometimes sharing it with other people to reduce food waste.
What is the name of the sentence structure? I can learn it.

@Maybo It's a complex sentence. She combined several related thoughts into one sentence.

I will if I can keep providing you with examples of that.

What is the name of the sentence structure? I can learn it.
You might be interested in this handout. Pay special attention to example 4 on page 2.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back