Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Recently, I’ve been considering learning Thai seriously because I like Thai food. I looked into some of its grammar and found that it’s very similar to Chinese in terms of sentence structure and it also has different tones like Chinese. However, after studying Thai for a few days, I’ve lost interest quickly because I don’t think I’d have the opportunity to communicate with other in Thai.

Recently, I’ve been seriously considering learning Thai seriously because I like Thai food. I looked into some of its grammar and found that it’s very similar to Chinese in terms of sentence structure and it also has different tones like Chinese. However, after studying Thai for a few days, I’ve I quickly lost interest quickly because I don’t think I’d have the opportunity to communicate with others in Thai.
See above. I moved "seriously" in the opening sentence because it collocates better with "considering" than with "learning Thai". However, if you wanted to attach something to "learning Thai", I'd say something like "I've been considering formally studying Thai". That suggests you want to have proper lessons rather than just trying to learn it at home on your own.

Recently, I’ve been considering learning Thai seriously because I like Thai food. I looked into some of its grammar and found that it’s very similar to Chinese in terms of sentence structure and it also has different tones like Chinese. However, after studying Thai for a few days, I’ve lost interest quickly because I don’t think I’d have the opportunity to communicate with others in Thai.
The underlined parts are not wrong, but you can say:
"... and it is also a tonal language, like Chinese".
and
"... communicate with others in it".

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back