Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've been watching videos about a couple traveling around some backward countries and experiencing local culture. They tried traditional food, lived in a slum and even got to a deadly volcano. Through these videos, I learned some tricks that drivers always use for getting more money from tourists. First, they make a deal with passengers for $5 but then, upon arrival, they would say, since you are two, it's $10. Or since you have luggage, you need give $5 more. To my surprises, after visiting 10 countries, the couple still keep falling into the same trap.

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've been watching videos about a couple traveling around some backward countries and experiencing local culture. They tried traditional food, lived in a slum and even got to SEE a deadly volcano. Through these videos, I learned some tricks that drivers always use TO GET more money from tourists. First, they make a deal with THE passengers for $5 but then, upon arrival, they would say, since ARE TWO OF YOU, it's $10. Or since you have luggage, you need TO give $5 more. To my surprises, after visiting 10 countries, the couple still keep falling into the same trap.
The expression is "to my surprise"; for example, "To my surprise, they never learned their lesson."

It's rather derogatory to describe countries as "backward". Either name at least a few of the countries (or maybe just the continent) or find a less divisive adjective.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back