Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've been watching English videos and reading English books attentively in the hope of improving my language skills. I can see it's paying off but there is still a long way to go. Almost in every episode of a series, I can learn at least 20 new words or phrases. I wonder if I did these activities for two years, would I need not to consult a dictionary so often?

I've been watching English videos and reading English books attentively in the hope of improving my language skills. I can see it's paying off but there is still a long way to go. Almost In almost every episode of a series, I can learn at least 20 new words or phrases. I wonder whether, if I did these activities for two years, would I would not need not to consult a dictionary so often.

You could substitute "American" for "English" there and the sentence would still make sense. To be more accurate I would say "English-language books and English-language videos".

Well spotted, Tarheel!

@Maybo You could shorten the opening to "I've been studying English-language videos and books ...".

Learning 20 new words a day is quite a challenge. I think it's really something if I learn two new words. 🙂

Some of them, in a sense, don't really count. For example, "somatostatin" is not a word I'm going to use every day. (Maybe if I was an endocrinologist I would. I'm not sure.)

Learning 20 new words a day is quite a challenge. I think it's really something if I learn two new words. 🙂

Some of them, in a sense, don't really count. For example, "somatostatin" is not a word I'm going to use every day. (Maybe if I was an endocrinologist I would. I'm not sure.)
They are sitcoms and reality shows so I believe the words they use are quite common.
I learned two words I find them interesting: freeloader, iota.

Last edited:
Well, "freeloader" is a word everybody knows, and even if you are one you don't want anybody to call you a freeloader. As for "iota," it's a very small amount of something, and while it is used occasionally, months or even years might go by before you hear it used.

As for "iota," it's a very small amount of something, and while it is used occasionally, months or even years might go by before you hear it used.
I heard it twice within one week in two different shows. One is for renovating a house and the other is for cooking. :ROFLMAO:

What sentence did you hear "iota" in?

What sentence did you hear "iota" in?
I don't remember the exact wording. Something like: "their comments haven’t deflated me one iota." "Something fits to the iota."

I don't remember the exact wording. Something like no colon here "Their comments haven’t deflated me one iota no full stop here" and "Something fits to the iota."
The first is absolutely fine. The second makes no sense. Either you've misremembered it or the speaker used the word incorrectly.

Sitcoms are for entertainment. While they may be useful to some extent, I wouldn't count on them entirely as indicators of how people speak on an everyday basis. (Read the first sentence again.)

Either you've misremembered it or the speaker used the word incorrectly.
That one was used in a home renovation show. The speaker wanted a piece of furniture fitted very well while put into a specific area. I don’t remember the whole sentence. :ROFLMAO:

I watched again.
Speaker A: "Listen, we built out an entire full-scale replica of this in the warehouse. We make sure everything fits."
speaker B: "-to the iota."
<Instant Dream Home>

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back