Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please help me to make the folllowing essay natural, colloquial and grammatical.

Last year I stayed in a hotel in the mountains for two days and I can't really forget it. It doesn't have grandiose decor or attractive entrance but it does provide good services. It was designed by a creative architect who successfully combined its characteristics with the weather conditions in the mountains: it's neither hot in summer nor cold in winter. The exterior of it looks like a normal buildings but inside with many facilities which caters almost all the needs of the tourists. The bathroom was equipped with the state-of-the-art tub and the beds are extremely comfortable. Last but not least, the owner always gives discounts to visitors from far-away places.

Last edited:
Where did you find that essay prompt?

Did you mean the title? It’s from one exercise IELTS question topic for spoken English.
Do I "mean" the title? No. I mean the "essay prompt", as I said. That's what it's called. That still doesn't answer my question. Where did you find it? If it's from a book, give us the title and author. If it's from a website, provide a link.

Where did you find it? If it's from a book, give us the title and author. If it's from a website, provide a link.
It's from the IELTS Academic tests 15. I can't see the author but on the first page of the book, it's:

Authentic Practice Tests produced by Cambridge Exams Publishing.

微信图片_20240722214449.png
微信图片_20240722214457.png

Please help me to make the following essay natural, colloquial and grammatical.

Describe a hotel that you know

Last year, I stayed in a hotel in the mountains for two days and I can't really will never forget it. It doesn't have grandiose decor or an attractive entrance but it does provide good services. It was designed by a creative architect who successfully combined its characteristics with the weather conditions in the mountains; it's neither hot in summer nor cold in winter. The exterior of it looks like a normal buildings building but inside with there are many facilities which that caters cater to almost all the needs of the tourists guests. The bathrooms was are equipped with the state-of-the-art tubs and the beds are extremely comfortable. Last but not least, the owner always gives discounts to visitors from far-away places.
Note my corrections above. Also note that the essay prompt isn't natural. I'd expect either "... a hotel that you know well", "... a hotel that you're familiar with" or "... a hotel that you've stayed in".

You haven't really explained why you were so impressed with this hotel. With the exception of the "state-of-the-art tubs", I'd expect to find everything else you mentioned in a decent hotel.

How does the owner decide what classes as "far-away places"?

How does the owner decide what classes as "far-away places"?
The hotel is in a small county and in the mountains. It's two-and-a-half hour train ride from the downtown. However, those tourists are not from the downtown but from other cities, so I used "far-away places".

You haven't really explained why you were so impressed with this hotel. With the exception of the "state-of-the-art tubs", I'd expect to find everything else you mentioned in a decent hotel.
I was trying to but the tubs attracted me most. I think that, usually in a test like the IELTS, one is allowed to talk about the specific topic (hotel here) for one minute. :)

The hotel is in a small county and in the mountains. It's two-and-a-half hour train ride from the downtown the nearest town. However, those tourists are not from the downtown that town but from other cities, so I used "far-away places".
I assumed that "far-away places" referred at least to foreign countries, if not people from other continents. I don't think the phrase works for people who have travelled there from within the same country. If the closest town is two-and-a-half hours away by train, presumably people have to travel for longer than that to qualify for a discount from the owner.
You've misused "downtown". It's used to describe a specific area of a city.
I was trying to but the tubs attracted me most. I think that, usually in a test like the IELTS, one is allowed to talk about the specific topic (hotel here) for one minute. :)
Did you write the piece as written essay practice or for a spoken part of the test?

Did you write the piece as written essay practice or for a spoken part of the test?
I appreciate your detailed explanation.

For a spoken part of the test.

Actually it’s the second part of the spoken test.

Do I need to rewrite the whole paragraph of the OP?

I appreciate your detailed explanation.
You're welcome, but remember that in order to show your appreciation, you simply add the "Thanks" icon to a useful response.
I was practising for a spoken part of the test. Actually it’s the second part of the spoken test.
Always write in complete sentences.
Do I need to rewrite the whole paragraph of the OP?
Why would you do that? You've been here long enough to know that you must never edit post #1 after it receives responses, and if you wrote it all out again simply copying my changes, you'd gain nothing (and would just waste your time).

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back