Animal idioms

Status
Not open for further replies.
:hi:

drink like a fish= regularly drink too much alcohol

eg. Her husband drinks like a fish.

best wishes,

m

Looks like the cat that swallowed the canary.
Means looking very smug and satisfied.

guys, you rock! a great subject Mad-ox, by the way, guys would you mind posting one idiom at a time? not only because it's the rule of the game, but also because it's easier to memorize them, any way here's what I've got:

A white-elepahant: to call a thing a white-elephant, means that it's an unprofitable possession.

it thought that the idiom came when king Siam had a habit of bringing his courtiers to beggary-don't know what does it mean-, he used to present them with a whit elephant, of course the courtier cannot refuse a present given to him by the king nor can he refuse to keep it the result is soon a ruined man.

guys, you rock! a great subject Mad-ox, by the way, guys would you mind posting one idiom at a time? not only because it's the rule of the game, but also because it's easier to memorize them......

Indeed the rule was introduced( one idiom posted at a time) so that, in this way, these idioms could be easily memorized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best wishes:-D

Flat out like a lizard drinking - very busy ( it's an Aussie slang so use in moderation )...I know, lizard is not an animal....:oops:

Last edited:
Flat out like a lizard drinking - very busy ( it's an Aussie slang so use in moderation )...I know, lizard is not an animal....:oops:

Well, I don't know about Australia, but in this country (USA) a lizard is an animal--a reptile, in fact.

:)

thanks Mad-ox, here's another one, an idiom you all know: the early bird, catches the worm. obvious isn't it:)

"Every dog has his days"
Everyone has successful time and bad time. No one has only success and no one has only failure.

check this out: "the land of bears" refere to a place where people acting aggressively.
O that yard is a land of bears-:cool:

To be a "Snake in the grass" = to be devious, sneaky, not to be relied upon

check this out: "the land of bears" refere to a place where people acting aggressively.
O that yard is a land of bears-:cool:

CORRECTION: I'm so sorry guys, actually the idiom is "bears-garden". so if you've already memorised it, try to delete the first hprase and memorise this one. thanks:oops:

When the cat is away the mice will play.

When the boss was on holiday nobody seemed to be working. You know how it is, when the cat is away......

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If I were you, I'd accept the job. It might not be the best job for you, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

hi,

wildcat strike= a strike spontaneously arranged by a group of workers

eg.

There was a wildcat strike at the factory and over 100 people walked off the job.

madox

ı dont know whether this was written or not because ı couldnt check all of the written.
idiom:
"It is raining cats and dogs" means It is raining heavily...
ı think it is a very common idiom in Eng.
if it's not true please confirm!

There is also my bogs are darking. A question of footlose .

a fly in the ointment = a person or thing that stops a situation, activity plan, etc. from being as good or successful as it could be.

eg. We lead a very happy life here. The only fly in the ointment is that there's too much traffic on our road.

How about:
Kill two birds with one stone.
:?:

a leopard can't change its spots= you cannot change someone's basic human nature or bad qualities

e.g. A dictator is unlikely to become a good leader in a democracy. A leopard cannot change its spots.

have a nice day,

Madox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back