Germany
Current Location
Germany
Are pigs his favorite animal/animals?
Are both right?

Is his favourite animal the pig?
Good alternative.
Are pigs ... animals?
Is your question whether pigs are multiple animals opposed to one? I noticed, the English book I have uses the plural, as in "pigs are his favorite animals".
So I assume that's right. Question is whether singular for "animals" is possible too in that sentence.

That's not a question. First, reread the OP. Second, put "his favorite" where the ellipsis is
Oh, now I got it.

For some reason it feels weird to me. I personally feel like "his favorite animals are pigs" would refer to multiple species of pigs such as boars and teacup pigs. Why else use the plural?
"His favorite animal is the pig" makes sense to me but sounds dry and long to me.

I'd like to use "his favorite animal are pigs" but I can't give you a sensible reason for doing so other than not liking the other two and well, this version sounds "less plural", like several species. I guess it's wrong and just "ghoul"-speech. Perhaps I should stop and rather use the pure plural form.

By the way, is it "if I finally win a tournament and they do a video about me I will give shoutouts to all players whom I hate and who turned their backs on me" or is "back" fine here as well?

Last edited:
"His favorite animal is the pig" is fine. (I don't know what you mean by "dry and long".)

Say: "players who ... turned their backs on me."

"His favorite animal is the pig" is fine. (I don't know what you mean by "dry and long".)

Say: "players who ... turned their backs on me."
It's not long as in really long but it's one more syllable compared to the plural variant and in the contexts in which I need to use English, every syllable counts.

I don't know if "dry" was the right word. Let me try to explain what I meant. The "is the pig..."-variant doesn't sound good to me. I'm not exactly sure why but my assumption is that it's because it contains three syllables that more or less rhyme, "is", "pig" and "his", almost in short succession which doesn't sound beautiful and cool to me.

Back