Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Last edited:
Do you think of "a series of" as adjectival?

"series of drawings" is a noun phrase.
GoldfishLord is perplexed because "series" is singular here ("a series") and it is the series that tells the story. Normally, the individual boxes of which a comic strip is composed do not themselves tell stories. It is the strip—the series of boxes—that tells the story. I agree with GoldfishLord that "tell" and "are" should be "tells and "is." Semantically, the relative clause modifies "series" (singular here), not "boxes" (plural), and the verb forms used in the relative clause should reflect that.

In the sentence "A crowd of revelers ____ approaching", for example, "were" counts as agreement.

I've created this sentence.
Is the bold part natural and idiomatic?

I'd appreciate it if you'd give me some examples of "counts as agreement". I'd like to know how the phrase is used.

Last edited:
I'd appreciate it if you'd give me some examples of "counts as agreement". I'd like to know how the phrase is used.

No, that's not a phrase. There are two distinct parts:

1) counts as [something]
2) agreement

Which one are you asking about?

Some example sentences where "counts as agreement" is used.

Some example sentences where "counts as agreement" is used.

That's not a phrase, GoldfishLord, so you don't need example sentences. You can ask for examples of 'counts as ...', but not for 'counts as agreement'.

Tell me exactly what it is you don't understand.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back