[General] What does "totality" mean in the following context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "totality" mean in the following context? Much appreciated if you can help.

Ilyin was consistent. His first major work of philosophy, in Russian (1916), was also his last major work of philosophy, in its edited German translation (1946).
The one good in the universe, Ilyin maintained, had been God’s totality before creation. When God created the world, he shattered the single and total Truth that was himself. Ilyin divided the world into the “categorical,” the lost realm of that single perfect concept; and the “historical,” human life with its facts and passions. For him, the tragedy of existence was that facts could not be reassembled into God’s totality, nor passions into God’s purpose. The Romanian thinker E. M. Cioran, himself once an advocate of Christian fascism, explained the concept: before history, God is perfect and eternal; once he begins history, God seems “frenetic, committing error upon error.” As Ilyin put it: “When God sank into empirical existence he was deprived of his harmonious unity, logical reason, and organizational purpose.”

For Ilyin, our human world of facts and passions is senseless. Ilyin found it immoral that a fact might be grasped in its historical setting: “the world of empirical existence cannot be theologically justified.” Passions are evil. God erred in his creation by releasing “the evil nature of the sensual.” God yielded to a “romantic” impulse by making beings, ourselves, who are moved by sex. And so “the romantic content of the world overcomes the rational form of thought, and thought cedes its place to unthinking purpose,” physical love. God left us amidst “spiritual and moral relativism.”

By condemning God, Ilyin empowered philosophy, or at least one philosopher: himself. He preserved the vision of a divine “totality” that existed before the creation of the world, but left it to himself to reveal how it might be regained. Having removed God from the scene, Ilyin himself could issue judgments about what is and what ought to be. There is a Godly world and it must be somehow redeemed, and this sacred work will fall to
men who understand their predicament—thanks to Ilyin and his books. The vision was a totalitarian one. We should long for a condition in which we think and feel as one, which means not to think and feel at all. We must cease to exist as individual human beings. “Evil begins,” Ilyin wrote, “where the person begins.” Our very individuality only proves that the world is flawed: “the empirical fragmentation of human existence is an incorrect, a transitory, and a metaphysically untrue condition of the world.” Ilyin despised the middle classes, whose civil society and private life, he thought, kept the world broken and God at bay. To belong to a layer of society that offered individuals social advancement was to be the worst kind of human being: “this estate constitutes the very lowest level of social existence.”

Last edited by a moderator:
You should always cite the work you quote.

There are not many ways we use the word totality. Did you look in your dictionary?

It is from: The Road to Unfreedom: Russia, Europe, America Hardcover – April 3, 2018
by Timothy Snyder (Author)

Please give the source and author in post #1 in future. Note that I have changed the formatting in post #1. Please make sure that your text stretches all the way across the text box.

As J&K Tutoring asked, did you check a good dictionary to find a suitable definition for "totality"?

When God created the world, he shattered the single and total Truth that was himself.

It's right here what he means. Before the creation of the world, there was only one thing, which was everything. That thing (that 'totality') was the Truth of God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help,jutfrank;I have already consulted this word in a dictionary, which tells me the definition of this word is the state of being total. However, this offers little help to understand the connotation of "totality" in the context. In my opinion, "totality" means the perfect and eternality of God as well as his harmonious unity, logical reason and organizational purpose, which is actually the truth of God. What do you think?

Last edited:
However, this offers little help to understand the connotation of "totality" in the context. In my opinion, "totality" means the perfect and eternality of God as well as his harmonious unity, logical reason and organizational purpose, which is actually the truth of God. What do you think?

As I understand from this passage, a simple synonym of totality for Ilyin is perfection. And yes, perfection means perfect unity, perfect harmony, perfect reason, perfect truth, perfect being and so on.

As I understand from this passage, a simple synonym of totality for Ilyin is perfection. And yes, perfection means perfect unity, perfect harmony, perfect reason, perfect truth, perfect being and so on.
I really appreciate your further explanation. By the way, what does "empirical existence" means in the sentence-“When God sank into empirical existence he was deprived of his harmonious unity, logical reason, and organizational purpose.”?

I really appreciate your further explanation. By the way, what does "empirical existence" means in the sentence-“When God sank into empirical existence he was deprived of his harmonious unity, logical reason, and organizational purpose.”?

When the (physical/natural) world was created. The world of things, and senses, and experience, and passions, etc.

"When God sank into empirical existence" means: when God was created by man. Religion (whatever that means) posits that man was created by some 'Cosmic Big Guy' we like to call God. Man's concept of God is purely a construct of our incomplete grasp of what we hope/wish is an ultimate reality- the failings of our naturally limited epistemology.

When the (physical/natural) world was created. The world of things, and senses, and experience, and passions, etc.

You mean that when God created the world, the person began observations by using the physical senses or using instruments which extend senses. Is that right?

"When God sank into empirical existence" means: when God was created by man. Religion (whatever that means) posits that man was created by some 'Cosmic Big Guy' we like to call God. Man's concept of God is purely a construct of our incomplete grasp of what we hope/wish is an ultimate reality- the failings of our naturally limited epistemology.

It definitely doesn't mean that to Ilyin or Cioran. Man, like everything else in the world was created by and out of God; not the other way around!

As the passage clearly says Cioran puts it, God's sinking into empirical existence is the creation of history, i.e., the creation of the world of facts, passions, and the rest of it.

You mean that when God created the world, the person began observations by using the physical senses or using instruments which extend senses. Is that right?

Not really. I simply mean that Ilyin describes the creation of history (that means the creation of the empirical world, as we know it) as "God sinking into empirical existence".

Thank you for your reply. However, I just don't understand what you mean. Could you please illustrate a bit more?

Not really. I simply mean that Ilyin describes the creation of history (that means the creation of the empirical world, as we know it) as "God sinking into empirical existence".

Got you. Now I understand the sentence better.

Thank you for your reply. However, I just don't understand what you mean. Could you please illustrate a bit more?

Primitive men were confused and frightened by natural phenomena, so they made up "gods" to explain what they observed. That is what I meant by "God was created by man". 'Modern' religion is merely an extension of that.

How history can be understood as anything but an invention of man is quite beyond me.

It should be noted that there will never be agreement on this. Religious people will always believe that (their) God came first and created everything (creation). Non-religious people will always believe that the earth and everything on it are natural phenomena (evolution) and that the concept of god was created by humans at some point in history.

Primitive men were confused and frightened by natural phenomena, so they made up "gods" to explain what they observed. That is what I meant by "God was created by man". 'Modern' religion is merely an extension of that.

How history can be understood as anything but an invention of man is quite beyond me.

Now I know what you mean.

Firstly, since Ilyin was a Christian philosopher, I don't think you and he would have a lot in common, theologically speaking.

Secondly, by 'history', philosophers mean the entire set of all facts, not just human history. History begins at the moment of the creation of the universe (in modern scientific jargon—the Big Bang.) I assume you don't mean to say that the Big Bang is a human invention.

Firstly, since Ilyin was a Christian philosopher, I don't think you and he would have a lot in common, theologically speaking.

Secondly, by 'history', philosophers mean the entire set of all facts, not just human history. History begins at the moment of the creation of the universe (in modern scientific jargon—the Big Bang.) I assume you don't mean to say that the Big Bang is a human invention.

I can see your point, thank you again for your insight. And when Ilyin wrote that God left us amidst “spiritual and moral relativism.”, what did he actually mean? I just can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back