Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello everyone. I encountered this expression, "Stone mason as well", and I am wondering how it is connected to the previous sentence:

“I must get a sphere. Perhaps I could beat the nearest to it with another stone until it rounds. Stone mason as well. Who was it cut stone cannon-balls? Michael Angelo? But I must look for a very round stone. Never a dull moment. Just like Itma.”

- William Golding, Pincher Martin, Chapter 7

This is a novel published in the United Kingdom in 1956. The novel mainly follows the state of mind of a sailor called Christopher "Pincher" Martin, a temporary naval lieutenant. He was in the Atlantic Ocean when his ship sank. He swam until he found an island. He is now thinking a way to get a spherical rock in order to allow his silver chocolate packaging paper (now attached to a non-spherical rock) to be seen from all directions for his rescue.

Here, I wonder what the underlined part would mean.
Would that mean that a stone mason would do the same (beating the stone until it rounds)...? (But this is just my guess.)

I would very much appreciate your help.

My guess is that he is thinking that along with all his other wonderful qualities he is a stonemason too.

@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Then, by "Stone mason as well", he is saying that, "I am/will be a stone mason, too".
I truly appreciate your help.

Does the original text really spell 'Michelangelo' as 'Michel Angelo'? Or is that supposed to be the author's way of showing us the narrator isn't as worldly and smart as he pretends to be?

Last edited:
I noticed that and decided it was an attempt at humor.

@Tdol, @Skrej and @Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the comments.
Does the original text really spell 'Michelangelo' as 'Michel Angelo'? Or is that supposed to be the author's way of showing us the narrator isn't as worldly and smart as he pretends to be?
Yes, I checked again the original text, and it does says "Michael Angelo." How strange! Probably it is an attempt at humor as you suggest.
I truly appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back