Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you pronouncing the new year as "Two-thousand ten" or "Twenty-ten"? I would like to know your choice (and reason) before I choose one to use. Thank you.:)

I'm saying 'two-thousand and ten'.

I don't really have a reason as such. It's how I say numbers in general. I do say 1910 as 'nineteen-ten', but that's merely a matter of hearing it this way in history lessons and being taught it this way in school in general. I'm big and ugly enough now to say whichever comes out, and that happens to be 'two-thousand and ten'. Also, saying 'nineteen-hundred and ten' is too much of a mouthful.

I guess when it gets to '2110' I'd say 'twenty-one ten', but I doubt I'll be kicking about that decade.

I'm saying "two-thousand and ten", I think it sounds better. I have heard a lot of people saying "twenty-ten" though.

Thank you for your kind replies. Especial thanks to the gentleman who directed me to a previous thread on this subject. After weighing all opinions, I have decided upon "Twenty-ten.":)

This was a topic of great debate in the US in the days prior to December 31, 2009....it depends upon which source you decide to use (Associated Press? Chicago Manual?) but even though my stodgy old Baby Boomer mind is stubbornly calling it "two thousand ten," it seems that the majority of the American public (or so the press polls tell us) is leaning toward "twenty ten." :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back