Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Turkey
I am currently teaching private lessons online. I will need an Intermediate coursebook suitable for online one to one teaching. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Are you looking for a book that actually contains lessons, or just a textbook for intermediate learners that you can base your lessons on? If it's the latter, the most frequently recommended books here are English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy and Practical English Usage by Michael Swan.
You buy a copy, your student buys a copy, and then you work your lesson plans around whatever point you've asked them to study between lessons.

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for a coursebook to teach a general English course. It is especially important that we can work online. I use the books you mentioned above for any extra grammar practice the student may need. I have experience of lots of different coursebooks but none of them are suitable to online teaching. A communicative coursebook which has an online platform with a focus on speaking skills would be perfect. Does such a thing exist?

A communicative coursebook which has an online platform with a focus on speaking skills would be perfect. Does such a thing exist?
Not that I'm aware of but I have a very small student base, all in-person, and all covering use of English only. I'm sure other teachers here will be able to provide some more help, if they've come across what you need.

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for a coursebook to teach a general English course. It is especially important that we can work online. I use the books you mentioned above for any extra grammar practice the student may need. I have experience of lots of different coursebooks but none of them are suitable to online teaching. A communicative coursebook which has an online platform with a focus on speaking skills would be perfect. Does such a thing exist?
I've been teaching on and offline for quite some time and I've used different coursebooks. Honestly, I have yet to see the one that will make my students happy and be in line with my teaching approach.
Disclaimer - no, the authors didn't pay me to endorse their books, but I can't praise them enough. My all-time favourite is 'Outcomes' series by Hugh Dellar and Andrew Walkley. It's a course with the emphasis on vocabulary and communicative tasks. The latter are intended for group work initially, but I think you'll find a way to turn them into a student-teacher discussion. I like the series for its multicultural approach and engaging content. Its teacher's guides are helpful and give a lot of useful tips and ideas. I believe I can keep going about how good the books are forever, check it out yourself here: https://www.eltoutcomes.com/about-outcomes
The only drawback of the series I can think of is that their levels are a bit more challenging than those defined by CEFR. I mean, in terms of vocabulary 'Outcomes' Intermediate level course might be closer to an Upper-intermediate level of most other coursebooks I've used.
Dellar and Walkley's previous series 'Innovations' (issued in 2003) is great on many levels too. You might call it a 'soft-core' trial version of 'Outcomes'. I use it in classes too, but some materials in this course are a bit outdated.
If your students like TED Talks, there's a series based on them called 'Keynote'.
I hope my answer is still relevant.

Coursebook suitability depends to a large extent on the profile of the learner (most significantly I think on age) and of course on what you're trying to teach. There aren't any coursebooks available that are specially designed for online teaching but that doesn't matter because you should be able to use any one of them with, say, Zoom, or whatever other platform you prefer. Most of the communicative tasks can be done with the teacher acting as partner.

I agree with yuliyaon that Outcomes is a decent coursebook but it isn't particularly great for younger learners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back