Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!
Can you explain this to me, please? I am teaching and learning English and as far as I know there are grammatical patterns which we use after verbs of senses. So we have to use “look/feel, etc. like+ a noun(a noun phrase)” and “look/feel, etc. as if+ a clause”. Nevertheless I often hear and see on the internet the vice versa thing, and so do my students, when people use “look like+ a clause” in sentences like: “it looks/seems like there’s no other option, sorry”.

How can I explain it to my students? Is it just a fact about spoken English we need to accept?

Last edited:
So How can I explain it to my students? Is it just a fact about spoken English we need to except accept?

Thank you! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding a "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Note my corrections and comments above.

You can also use like in the same way that you use as if/though. There's nothing to explain.

like + noun phrase

as if + clause
as though + clause
like + clause

You can also use like in the same way that you use as if/though. There's nothing to explain.

like + noun phrase

as if + clause
as though + clause
like + clause
I see. Then the rules are different from the way it really is. I use English File to teach and in the upper intermediate book they give different information. I guess it can be very confusing for people who learn English without a teacher.

i am old-fashioned enough to dislike that. But, as Swan (4th edn, §378) writes:

Like is often used in the same way as as if/though, especially in an informal style. This used to be typically American English, but is now common in British English.

I see. Then the rules are different from the way it really is. I use English File to teach and in the upper intermediate book they give different information. I guess it can be very confusing for people who learn English without a teacher.

Every edition of English File that I've ever used has mentioned that you can use like in the same way as as though. Which edition do you use? All of the big other coursebooks that I can think of do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back