I set a timer for 8 minutes to heat up/for heating up the water pot ...

Kumarc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. I set a timer for 8 minutes to heat up the water pot on the induction stove.
2. I set a timer for 8 minutes for heating up the water pot on the induction stove.
Are these sentences correct? What is the difference between them?

Offhand, I don't see any difference between them. However, didn't you want to heat the water?

1. I set a timer for 8 minutes to heat up the water pot on the induction stove.
2. I set a timer for 8 minutes for heating up the water pot on the induction stove.
Are these sentences correct? What is the difference between them?
I wouldn't use sentence 2. I might use "for heating up" in something like "I have a pot that's specifically for heating up water on the stove". It suggests use, answering the question "What's it for?"
It's not clear what the timer is for though. Does it take eight minutes for the stove to heat up, ready to put the pot of water on it, or have you already put the pot of water on the stove and you've set a timer for eight minutes because you know that's how long it will take to heat the water?
As Tarheel suggested, you're not necessarily heating the water - just the pot. I'm not really sure what you mean by "water pot" anyway. Is it a pan full of water?
I suspect you might mean "I put a pot/pan of water on the induction hob and set a timer for eight minutes".

I wouldn't use sentence 2. I might use "for heating up" in something like "I have a pot that's specifically for heating up water on the stove". It suggests use, answering the question "What's it for?"
It's not clear what the timer is for though. Does it take eight minutes for the stove to heat up, ready to put the pot of water on it, or have you already put the pot of water on the stove and you've set a timer for eight minutes because you know that's how long it will take to heat the water?
As Tarheel suggested, you're not necessarily heating the water - just the pot. I'm not really sure what you mean by "water pot" anyway. Is it a pan full of water?
I suspect you might mean "I put a pot/pan of water on the induction hob and set a timer for eight minutes".
Thanks for your explanation and comments. Yes. That's what I wanted to do: "I put a pot/pan of water on the induction hob and set a timer for eight minutes."

Back