Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following conversation is between my friend and me.

Hook: Did you take the IELTS test?
Silver: No.
Hook: When will you take it? You said you wanted to take it on April.
Silver: Until I'm sure I can get the score I want. By the way, I think taking this test is really time-consuming?
Hook: Oh, why?
Silver: I need to sign up for taking the test a week before the test starts and wait for another two weeks for my test results.

Is the italic sentence natural?

Let's say the test is on 18th this month, I need to sign up and pay for it a week beforehand and then wait for another two weeks after taking the test for the test report.

You said you wanted to take it on in April.

Silver: Until I'm sure I can get the score I want.
That's doesn't work. It's a dependent clause on its own.
Say: I won't take it until I'm sure I can get the score I want.
Silver: I need to sign up for taking the test it (at least) a week before the test starts in advance, and (then) wait for another two weeks for my test results.
You could also say "the results" at the end.

Let's say the test is on the 18th of this month. [ COMMA SPLICE, AGAIN!!!] I need to sign up and pay for it a week beforehand and then wait for another two weeks after taking the test for the test report.

Last edited:
Sorry for the comma splice. I'll pay more attention to it.

I have two questions about the corrected sentence:

I need to sign up for at least a week in advance, and then wait for another two weeks for my test results.

a) Is the "for" needed here? If I am going to take the test next Saturday (it takes place every Saturday here.), I need to sign up for it a week beforehand.
b) I wonder if "my test result" or "the result" are better. The context is candidates are required to take the tests of speaking, writing, listening and reading. While listening, writing and reading tests will take place together, one needs to take the speaking test on a different day. However, the scores (band) are in one test report.

Like this:

微信图片_20240510161216.png
We can see in this picture. Listen 8.5, reading 8.5, writing 7.0 and speaking 7.0. Overall 8.0

Please enlighten me!

a- I meant to write "I need to sign up for it". I have corrected that.
b- I prefer "the results". It's concise and clear enough.

a- I meant to write "I need to sign up for it". I have corrected that.
b- I prefer "the results". It's concise and clear enough.
Sorry for taking up so much of your time on this one. Please allow me to ask you one more question. I'll write down all the sentences corrected by you and others so I sometimes have many questions.

I need to sign up for it at least a week in advance, and then wait for another two weeks for the results.

a) Is it also natural to say ", .... and then wait another two weeks for the results"?
b) Is the red phrase "two weeks for the results" good? Could you please tell me why it's better to use "results" instead of "result" here?

Much appreciated!

Hook: Did you take the IELTS test?
Silver: No.
Hook: When will you take it? You said you wanted to take it on in April.
Silver: I won't take it/I'm not going to take it until I'm sure I can get the score I want. By the way, I think taking this test is Also, I think it's really time-consuming.
Hook: Oh, why?
Silver: I need to sign up for taking the test a week beforehand the test starts and wait for another two weeks for my test the results.

Is the italic sentence natural?
See above.
Let's say the test is on the 18th of this month. I need to sign up and pay for it a week beforehand on the 11th and then wait for another two weeks after taking the test until 1st June for the test report result.
If you're going to start this kind of explanation with a made-up date, it makes sense to continue with dates that express the deadlines etc.

[Apologies if I've duplicated information. I wrote this post over an hour ago, got distracted, and just came back and posted it.]

Last edited:
In #7, shoud it be "two weeks for my the results"? I think the "my" is not needed, as pointed out by teechar. I was writing the version in #7 down and had that new question but I think it was a mistake. :)

In #7, shoud it be "two weeks for my the results"? I think the "my" is not needed, as pointed out by teechar. I was writing the version in #7 down and had that new question but I think it was a mistake. :)
Yes, I inadvertently failed to strike through "my" as well as "test". I've edited it to "... two weeks for the results".

Back