How do speakers within these diverse communities navigate the constant introduction of new slang terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna_shi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
How do speakers within these diverse communities navigate the constant introduction of new slang terms, ensuring comprehension and connection, while also maintaining the authenticity and heritage of their linguistic expressions? Moreover, what mechanisms are in place, if any, for these terms to be absorbed into mainstream language, and how does this process reflect broader societal shifts?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1. As @5jj asked: What diverse communities?

2. French has a body of scholarly experts, the académie française, whose job it is to decide and expound upon what is or is not good French. English has no such governing body.

3. Like all languages. English is constantly evolving and slang changes especially fast. In Shakespeare's time a popular slang phrase was odds bodkins. In the 1920s people said 23 skidoo. Today's youngsters can easily baffle old buffers like me with their current slang. Sooner or later we all slip out of touch with what's cool and what's not.

By the way @Anna_shi did you write that passage yourself? If not, we need the source and the author.

Last edited:

Anna_shi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
1. As @5jj asked: What diverse communities?

2. French has a body of scholarly experts, the académie française, whose job it is to decide and expound upon what is or is not good French. English has no such governing body.

3. Like all languages. English is constantly evolving and slang changes especially fast. In Shakespeare's time a popular slang phrase was odds bodkins. In the 1920s people said 23 skidoo. Today's youngsters can easily baffle old buffers like me with their current slang. Sooner or later we all slip out of touch with what's cool and what's not.

By the way @Anna_shi did you write that passage yourself? If not, we need the source and the author.
Many thanks for your answer and:
No, I did not. I'm learning English and this question is a part of my homework but I didn't know the possible answers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm learning English and this question is a part of my homework but I didn't know the possible answers.
The forum rules clearly state that we do not help with homework/assignments. How many more of your threads have been homework? I'm really disappointed to discover that you've been using the forum to help you cheat.

I'm locking this thread so you don't get any more help with your homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.