Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I wrote the following as a context for my question in another thread:

A group of young people were going to a party held on an island by another group of young people. They needed to catch a boat at a certain time that was supposed to take them there, but they missed it, so they decided to ask local fishermen to take them there on their own boat. The fishermen agreed. Before getting on board, Jake Harley sent his friend on the island a voice message to let him know that he with his friends was on board, and that they would be at the party soon. However, the fishermen took Jake Harley and his friends hostage, so they didn't arrive at the island as expected.

I'm wondering about the bolded part. Does it sound correct? Now that I've reread what I wrote, I think that maybe the construction isn't correct and I should've written instead:

...Before getting on board, Jake Harley sent his friend on the island a voice message to let him know that he and his friends were on board, and that they would be at the party soon...

Use either "he and his friends were on board", "he was on board with his friends" or "he was with his friends on board". The word order you used does not work.

Back