Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to wish everyone on UE a very happy, healthy, sparkly New Year.

Let's make 2022 the year that not a single user starts a question with "How to"! 😉

Love and peace.jpeg

2022 has started off with sneezing. (Allergies.)

Some time in the wee hours of February this year, it's going to be: 02.22 22/02 2022
An as aesthetic date will never happen within our lifetime! I've set a deadline on my new year's resolution to be 22:02:20 22-02-2022. How do I pronounce that?

"Two minutes and twenty seconds past twenty-two on the twenty-second of February, twenty twenty-two"?

Eight oh two and twenty seconds on the twenty-second of February, twenty twenty-two.

If you really want to use the 24-hour clock system in the sentence, it would have to go at the start - "Twenty-two hundred hours, two minutes and twenty seconds, on ...". We never say things like "ten past twenty-two". That's mixing up two different ways of expressing the time.

Edit - Added "hundred" after "twenty-two". Thanks, probus.

Last edited:
In America the 24-hour clock is used almost exclusively by the military. I think they'd call 10PM twenty-two hundred hours.

I just realised that I left the word "hundred" out of post #8. I've edited it now.

For this year resolution, I've determined to make a change in my accent. So I created a blog called "My 30-Day American Accent Challenge".
Hopefully, by the end of the challenge, I will make at least some progress!

For this year resolution, I've determined to make a change in my accent. So I created a blog called "My 30-Day American Accent Challenge".
Interesting resolution! Good luck =)

If you like
If you like Aw_Ky you can record a sample on Vocaroo and post it in Pronunciation and Phonetics to get our comments on your accent. We've found this works best if you just speak spontaneously about anything rather than reading a text.

An as aesthetic date will never happen within our lifetime! I've set a deadline on my new year's resolution to be 22:02:20 22-02-2022. How do I pronounce that?

"Two minutes and twenty seconds past twenty-two on the twenty-second of February, twenty twenty-two"?
THE TIME HAS COME

Last edited:
Another hour and 15 minutes here in the UK until it happens!

Wow, that was quite a thrill. See you all again here in 200 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back