"far from"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predicate adjuncts are never optional. They are obligatorily present in copular SVC's as a C.

This seem to contradict my notes! Could be the reason why we have come to a different opinion about this sentence. Could you please give me some references and examples.

My example of an adjunct is like this:

The weather is unpredictable in Lund.

This seem to contradict my notes! Could be the reason why we have come to a different opinion about this sentence. Could you please give me some references and examples.

My example of an adjunct is like this:

The weather is unpredictable in Lund.

In 'The weather is unpredictable in Lund,' if you remove the space adjunct, the sentence remains grammatical.

The weather is unpredictable. :tick:

----
He is in Lund.

If you remove the space adjunct here, the sentence does not remain grammatical.

He is. :cross:

Do not bother with names. Does it matter how the baby is called? Biber calls 'in Lund' in 'He is in Lund' a predicate adjunct.

He is in Lund.

If you remove the space adjunct here, the sentence does not remain grammatical. ..... 'He is in Lund' a predicate adjunct.

I think you had better explain the difference between Adjunct and Complement.

Where are your definitions coming from?

Where are your definitions coming from?

The problem is I am fed by many grammars and I am beyond the point where I still can be consistent with terminology.

I think you had better explain the difference between Adjunct and Complement.

For me to be able to tell the difference, I have to know first what they mean (to you). Let me figure that out. An adverbial complement (one obligatory argument controlled by the main verb in the matrix clause) is one of these A's:

SVA
SVOA

Adjuncts are peripheral elements in the grammatical structure of a sentence. More peripheral, so they can be dropped without (syntactical) structure-collapse.

The problem is I am fed by many grammars and I am beyond the point where I still can be consistent with terminology.

Then time to refocus and choose only the most consistent grammar you can find. Choosing is difficult though, it's a process I think.

I don't like to use terminologies which have little practical value. Adjunct seem to be one (I may change my mind if later I find a good use for them). It seem to me that the Adjunct is a subset or a lower order (optional element) of the Complement. Adjuncts are made up of a variety of syntactic units including PP as we have discussed.

Adjuncts are peripheral elements in the grammatical structure of a sentence. More peripheral, so they can be dropped without (syntactical) structure-collapse.

Therefore,
[It] [is] [from the truth] = [V] [A]

is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back